QuickBooks portable company files are in the format, which makes the Company files more compressed. It should be noted that opening a portable file is almost similar to opening the regular file, but situations might arise when the file might not be in such a format to open up, and this leads to QuickBooks displaying an error code. Let Us learn how to Resolve it.
You may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
Error: Cannot open QuickBooks Portable company file
Reason why you are unable to open it?
The reasons behind unable to open portable file are stated below:
- The very first reason can be when the available Copy of the file gets damaged
- Or if the record expansion has changed to .QBM
- Moreover, if the user is restoring the Portable Copy over the system or from a detachable gadget, then in that case this type of error could be seen.
- The Portable Copy is created using a more up to date form of QuickBooks Desktop and being restored in a before adaptation (i.e. made in QuickBooks Desktop 2017 and being restored in QuickBooks Desktop 2016)
Read Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 3120?
How To Fix QuickBooks Won’t Open Portable Company File?
Follow the steps mentioned below to repair this error by renaming your portable file-
Solution 1: Rename Your Portable File
- First of all, the user needs to make a “Replica of the Portable File” on the Desktop
- And then, right-tap the record and select “Rename“
- Followed by renaming the record to something straightforward like “ABC.QBM“
- Restore the “Portable record“, click on “File” and then select “Open or Restore Company“
- Click on “Restore an all-around” file, follow the prompts to finish the procedure
- In case that the error continues, acquire another duplicate of the “Portable File” and utilize an alternate media like email, CD, Portable Drive to transport the document to your Computer
Solution 2: Restoring QuickBooks portable document file from local online drive
If the QuickBooks portable file copy is abandoned over the portable drive or system, then in that case the user is required to make a copy of the report locally. Also, the user is required to select the desktop or any other local drive.
We hope that the methods to open QuickBooks portable company file did helped you a lot and if you have any questions or doubts then feel free to seek help from QuickBooks Customer Support by calling on their toll-free helpline at +1-800-360-4183
Other Frequently asked questions