While working in QuickBooks Accounting software all of sudden system encounters an unauthorized access into QuickBooks software. This kind of bug is known as QuickBooks Error 401. Well, facing QuickBooks unauthorized error code 401 and unable to find any solution to fix it, never mind; we are here to assist you in every way possible.
QuickBooks Unauthorized error code 401 is basically an unauthorized request that affects both the versions (online as well as desktop) of QuickBooks varyingly. QuickBooks error code 401 appears on QuickBooks Desktop whereas QuickBooks API HTTP error 401 occurs with QuickBooks online (QBO).
Error message that appears on your screen while facing QuickBooks error code 401:
“The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
Request is unauthorized.
Do you want to login again? ”
This error code can be easily tackled by several quick steps which are discussed later in this article. So, we would recommend you to read this article carefully till the end and implement the steps discussed below in order to fix this error with much ease. If in case you can’t get the proper resolution, you can also call the QuickBooks helpline number to troubleshoot it instantly.
Troubleshooting Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 401
There are not many methods to fix QuickBooks Error Code 401; you simply have to perform the steps given below whenever the error message appears on the screen.
- At first, Press the NO tab and then close down the error message window.
- Now, Upgrade the QuickBooks software to the latest version as outdated version of the software could be another major reason for the occurrence of QuickBooks 401 error in the desktop.
Possible Reasons that provoke QuickBooks Error Code 401 are:
- When the user logging in to company file or accountant toolbox.
- Such an error can also be faced while registering during QuickBooks installation.
- It can also occur at the time of sending an invoice with QuickBooks payments.
Other possible causes
- Expired access tokens – Note that all the access tokens come with a maximum validity of 180 days. After the validity expires, users are supposed to complete the authorization process again.
- Wrong E-mail ID- At times entering an incorrect e-mail id by users other than the master admin, when logging in, can trigger such an error.
- Admin changes – In case the master admin serves the link between a realm or company and then some user tries to access an associated file. This might trigger QuickBooks error code 401. Manually disconnections of files might trigger automatic invalidation of access tokens, no matter what the expiration date is.
- Master admin privileges disconnected from QBO – Note that the master admin authorizes all connections. In case their access and privileges are deleted from the QBO file, then it can trigger an error.
Read Also: How to Update QuickBooks Desktop 2023
Method 1: To upgrade the QuickBooks software to the latest version.
In order to upgrade to QuickBooks latest version, opt for setting up automatic updates which will save your lot of time also ensures timely updates. And the Steps involved are:
- Firstly, Go to the Help menu and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Next, go ahead for the Update now tab and then select the reset updates checkbox and also delete all the previous update downloads.
- Now to start the download select the Get updates option.
- Once done with downloads, make sure to reboot the software.
- Finally, Click on the YES option to install the new release.
Facing issues when setting up the automatic updates
If there is any issue with setting automatic updates, then the below pointers can help.
- One need to ensure that he/she is using an interrupted internet connection
- In case the issues continue, the user is recommended to restart the windows in safe mode with networking option. The same can be assessed either by visiting Msconfig in the run window, and select safe mode or click on F8 repeatedly upon restarting the system.
- The user needs to further go for the option that states Safe mode with networking. And further try updating the software
- Furthermore, close all the running programs in the background. As this might fix any issues with the QuickBooks update process
- You should also consider turning off the antivirus software temporarily when the updates are in process.
You may also read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15215
Method 2: To set up for future automatic updates.
In this method you can arrange QuickBooks updates according to their comfort, and software will get update on its own. For this follow the steps in the same way as given below:
- Go to the Help menu and also choose the update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Subsequently, Search the Options tab
- Now, opt for Yes to switch on automatic updates.
- It is advised to share automatic downloads to the other systems on the network.
- Choose yes for each design.
- Then, press on Close tab.
Method 3: To manually update the software.
Apart from automatic update of software you can also opt for manual update procedure of the software. So, for updating manually, perform the steps given below which would be helpful for you:
- Initially, Close the company file and QuickBooks
- Then, Open the Windows start menu
- Now you have to look for QuickBooks desktop.
- And also do a right-click on the icon and select run as Admin
- Navigate to the Help menu while on the no company access screen and then press on updates QuickBooks desktop
- Once done with that head to the options tab and then choose mark all and select to save also.
- Now, move to the Update Now account and also select the Reset Update Checkbox
- Finally, select to get updates. This will update the software to the latest updates.
Well with this we wind up the article over here, hoping that by implementing the above-mentioned method QuickBooks error code 401 is fixed and it is no longer creating problem to you. However, for the same reason if this error still troubles you, then you can immediately dial QuickBooks error support team for technical assistance at +1(844)405-0907 Our dedicated technical team will provide the immediate help to you with the error to be tackled easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
One can try fixing the error code 401 using the steps below:
1. The user needs to confirm that the URL is correct
2. Clearing browser cache and cookies
3. Further checking authentication credentials
4. Disabling password protection
There can be a bunch of factors that can trigger QuickBooks error 401 which include incorrect login credentials, expired or invalid subscription, issues with the intuit server, firewall or security software blocking the connection, or issues with the company file.
Well, yes, at times certain errors get fixed by simply restarting the software and the system. One can try to restart the system to eliminate the error instead of performing fixes further.
Other helpful articles