Peculiar errors like QuickBooks error code 6189, 816 can definitely impact your smooth working experience on QuickBooks. And of course, none of us like to be interrupted again and again by any sort of technical snag, when performing some crucial activity on QuickBooks. Certain hindrances in QuickBooks are associated to the company file, whereas others may be either related to human mistakes, virus attack, or any sort of internet issue. Talking about this particular error, it is basically linked with the company file itself. The company file errors can lead to any sort of data loss, due to which it becomes crucial to culminate such errors in QuickBooks.
Thus, to help you shun off this particular glitch in QuickBooks smoothly, here we are with this piece of writing, which will walk you through the complete information related to the error, its causes, and of course the steps you can implement to dump it permanently. So, stick around this segment to unleash the complete guide to end this error in QuickBooks. On the other hand, if you are someone having zero knowledge about eliminating errors in QuickBooks or don’t want to play around with the technicalities and need someone to help you deal with these errors, then in that case give us a call at +1-844-318-0008, and our team will help you in all possible ways. Having said that, let us together check out the insight into this particular error in QuickBooks.
Brief into QuickBooks error code 6189, 816
Delving deep into the fixation steps for the error will turn out to be more helpful, once you have sound knowledge about the error itself. This error ideally belongs to the 6000- error series category, which is associated with the company file. It appears on the screen while stating a warning message that states:
An error occurs when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816)
QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user. You should ask that user to switch to multi-user mode so you can both use the company file at the same time. The file could also be located in a read-only network folder. If it is, ask your system administrator to make the file accessible.
Error Status: On the desktop screen, it shows QuickBooks Error Code 6190, it is caused when a user tries to access the company file and this appears an error code as -6189. Thus, it means that you are not authorized to access the company file. It further indicates that the error is with the multi-user network and not with the accounting data. According the Intuit, this error mainly happens when you try to open a company file but the company file is inaccessible. It is necessary to ensure that you have QuickBooks file storage instructions in place. Let us explore more about this technical snag.
Following Error Message User May See in their Desktop Screen.
What instigates QuickBooks Error 6189, 816?
Errors are often a result of various triggers, and the same applies to error code 6189, and 816. So, here are a few common reasons that might trigger this particular issue in QuickBooks.
- Any latest change in the QuickBooks software change can cause corruption in the Windows Registry.
- Incomplete installation of QuickBooks or damaged download of QuickBooks Software.
- Some malicious software can delete QuickBooks files. In fact, good software can also mistakenly delete files.
- Virus and malware infections in the Windows system or in the QuickBooks file cause damage to them.
- Windows registry was corrupted due to the latest QB software change.
Solutions for QuickBooks Error 6189 816 (When Opening Company File)
Below you will get the solutions steps to resolve QB error code 6189. It is highly recommended that before proceeding with the next steps you need to create a data backup of your company files.
Method 1: Restart the computer as well as the Server
Restarting the system helps in fixing certain errors in QuickBooks. The steps involved in restarting the software are as follows:
- Restarted each desktop that has access to the company file.
- Note that it is crucial to find out where the company file is hosted, In case you are using QuickBooks enterprise hosting instead of the server system, reach out to professionals for further assistance.
- If the data server is on, then restart the server.
- And if the error still persists try solution 2.
Read also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 61686?
Method 2: Installing QuickBooks Database Manager in the Server to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6189
The server system usually stores the company file and other QuickBooks files, and the other systems are the workstations. In case you are hosting your own network, then the QuickBooks database server manager will help in keeping the multiuser network stable. The steps involved here are:
- Make sure that QuickBooks or QuickBooks Database Manager is installed on your server where the company files are stored.
- During the installation of the Database Manager no additional license is required.
- In case you do not see the QB database user, install Database Manager.
- Once the installation is complete opt for start scan in case you see the company files. Browse to the location and click on start scan.
- Now the database server manager will fix the firewall permissions on its own. Also, click on close tab after the process ends.
- You now have to open QuickBooks.
Note: Installing the Database Manager does not require an additional license.
Method 3: Data File share service
Another method you can perform to eliminate this issue in QuickBooks is the data file share service. The steps involved are enumerated below:
- It is better for your company file, if you do not use any file sharing service like SugarSync, Dropbox, Box.net etc. or any other type of online sync service.
- One of the major causes can be if you are using online auto backup utilities for QuickBooks.
- If you are trying to access company files via file sharing services then you are likely to face the error 6189.
- To avoid this, remove the company file from Dropbox and copy it in the ‘C drive’ of your desktop.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6147, 0?
Method 4: Data file stored on Network drive
Do make sure that the company file is not on a NAS device or any other removable device.
- This is because none of these devices have the permission to run the QuickBooks Database Manager
- And it often happens that this setup can cause data corruption.
Method 5: Moving the company files to the local hard drive
- You need to move the company file to the local drive if the error continues and if the company file is stored on a removable drive.
- Store QuickBooks files on the server system’s hard drive. However, online file hosting services, including Dropbox, Google Drive, etc., might seem easy but are prone to certain errors.
- Avoid storing the files on removable drives, as they aren’t designed in a way to run QuickBooks or multi-user networks.
- Furthermore, avoid encrypting the QuickBooks files on the hard drive storing them, as it can block the multi-user network connection.
Method 6: Manually fix the QuickBooks Error 6189
If the above procedures didn’t help you much, try manually resolving the error in QuickBooks. The steps to be performed in this procedure are as follows:
- Look for the transaction log file and then rename it.
- Verify users’ permission to QBDataServiceUserXX for the QuickBooks application
- Ascertain that the QuickBooks files are not encrypted
- Also, make a backup of the portable company file of the QB file and then paste it onto the desktop
- The last step is to move to the folder where it was located earlier.
Also Check Out: QuickBooks error code 6000, 832 – Fix with professional guidance
Method 7: Fix installation issues with the QuickBooks software
If you are having any sort of installation issue with your accounting software, it increases the probability of coming across error code 6189 816. Thus, it becomes crucial to deal with any sort of installation issues. The steps to be performed in such scenario are listed below:
- Initially, open QuickBooks tool hub that you previously installed
- After that, use the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool under the installation issues tab
- In certain cases, system configurations might be out of date which might take extra time, so do not stop the process in the middle.
- Access the company file once more to check if the issue is resolved.
Method 8: Rename ND and TLG files
At times corrupted or misconfigured files in QuickBooks can trigger various errors. Thus, it is recommended to add old at the end of the TLG and nd files and try fixing such errors in QuickBooks. The steps involved in this process are:
- Navigate to the folder having the company file
- Find files with the same name as the company files but stored with different extensions
- Now, look for the .nd and .tlg files
- Also, right-click each file and click on the rename tab
- Add old at the end of the file name and click anywhere on the screen to save the file name
- The last step is to reopen QuickBooks and sign in to the company file again and then the issue might be resolved.
Method 9: Backup and restore the file
Restoring backup can help you in getting back your crucial details. Thus, try performing the steps enumerated below:
- The user needs to create a backup file on the old system
- And then, copy all backup files to the new system
- Use the flash drive or another external drive
- Or make use of a network if the systems are connected
- Restore the backup on the new system
Method 10: Download and run the QuickBooks refresher tool
Downloading and running QuickBooks refresher tool is suggested as it closes all the background programs that might trigger the error and refreshes the entire process. The steps to be performed in this case are:
- Download the QuickBooks refresher tool and then install the files from it
- Save the files to access them easily
- Now, keep a check on whether no other task is running on the QuickBooks
- The user then needs to check and close all the versions of QuickBooks running on the system
- Double-click the QBrefresher.exe file to run the program
- The tool runs in 30 seconds and make sure to perform the onscreen instructions
- The last step is to reopen the QuickBooks desktop when the installation is complete
To Wrap It Up!
I hope you find this blog helpful. If still, you face the error then get in touch with QuickBooks support team who will give you an instant solution to your problem. Our experts are always ready to provide feasible solutions, so feel hassle-free to contact us and get high-quality services from our professionals. To connect with U.S. based QuickBooks Experts – Dial toll-free number +1-844-318-0008.
Article Summary in Infographic
Checkout the infographic in order to understand QuickBooks error code 6189 and its solution methods.
If you still have any trouble, or you face any other QuickBooks related issue, you can contact our 24*7 QuickBooks error support number @ +1-844-318-0008, and our QuickBooks support Team will be glad to offer you quick and precise solutions.
The user needs to choose the reload tab and press F5 to download the entire page. In case the problem persists, make sure to reboot the browser and then log in to QuickBooks online. In case you are getting the error message, then connect with the QuickBooks professionals.
The user can try fixing the error code by performing any of the below methods:
1. Check if hosting is on for all workstations
2. You can also open a sample company file from a workstation
3. Copy the QuickBooks file to the desktop
4. Another option is to close all QuickBooks processes
A company file is where you store the company’s financial records in QuickBooks, so it is the first thing that you need to work on in the program.
The user needs to choose the reload or press F5 on the keyboard to download the entire page. In case the problem persists, the user needs to restart the browser and then log in to QuickBooks online. In case you are still getting the error message, contact our QuickBooks support team.
QuickBooks Error Code 6189 is a common error that users may encounter when attempting to open a company file. The error indicates that the file is either not accessible or is in use by another program. Some common causes of this error include issues with file permissions, data corruption, network connectivity problems, or conflicts with third-party software. Contact our expert support team at +1-844-318-0008 for personalized assistance.
See More Helpful Articles