Bugs are very common in any software and the same goes with QuickBooks. Users often report various errors in QuickBooks, some occur due to any sort of software code related issue, whereas others might occur due to any sort of mistake on the user’s end. One such error that we are going to talk about in this piece of writing today is QuickBooks Error Code 6190, 816. This error is a 6000 series error that is usually related to the company file and the transaction file. Certain errors like these can hamper your data stored in the QBW file. Thus, it is essential to keep a backup of the data handy.
To help you out in tackling such an error in QuickBooks, we have drafted this article, sharing the complete details about QuickBooks error 6190 816. Thus, if you are interested in learning further about this issue, stick around to this piece of writing, or can further reach out to our team using our QuickBooks support phone number i.e., +1-800-360-4183 and discuss your queries with certified professionals.
Article to Read: QuickBooks error code 6000, 832 – Fix with professional guidance
What is QuickBooks Error 6190 816?
QuickBooks Error Code 6190 816 suggests that the company file won’t open when another user is logged into company file in single user mode. It is possible to fix this issue by switching from single user mode to multi user mode. It appears with a warning message “QuickBooks was unable to open the company file on the hosted computer.” can’t access QuickBooks company file.
You may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
Why QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 Occurs?
Error code 6190 and 816 may occur for the following reasons:
- This error may take place when the transaction log file (TLG file) doesn’t match with the company file. The TLG file keeps the record of all the transactions performed by the company and is automatically saved by QuickBooks accounting software.
- The file is then stored as (the name of the company file).qbw .tlg file. This file can’t be accessed to be converted into Company Data File (qbw). Therefore, QuickBooks demonstrates error – 6190, – 816 when the “QBW” file is not in accordance with its linked “TLG” file.
- This error code may also occur in case of update failure when a user updates a company file on a different computer without updating the transaction log file.
- Another key cause of this error is another user accessing the company files in Single User Mode.
- Data Corruption in the QuickBooks data file also causes this error. Identifying the data corruption in QuickBooks data file, therefore, is essential.
Common Signs to identify QuickBooks error code 6190 816
The below signs and symptoms will help the user to spot the error successfully:
- The error code appears on the screen crashing the active program window is one of the basic signs of this issue
- Or if the system freezes for some time again and again
- Another sign can be if the transaction log file and company file don’t match, causing a corrupted company file
- The system runs slowly and doesn’t respond to keyboard inputs
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6190 and 816?
There are several solutions we can try to resolve this.
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool
Firstly, you should make sure that you have the latest version of QuickBooks before performing the troubleshooting steps. If you do not already have the latest version, update it and then fix the issue using QuickBooks file doctor tool:
You can download the QuickBooks file doctor tool from here. Click here
- Download and install QuickBooks File Doctor from the official website of Intuit.
- Make sure to log in as administrator and run the tool.
- Two options will pop up on the system;
- Both File Damage and Connectivity.
- Network Connectivity Only.
- Choose the first option and it will identify the damaged file and allow you to resolve error -6190
- Enter your admin password.
- Next, you will be asked if the company file is stored on Workstation or Server.
- If the file is on server click “yes” else click “No.”
- Select “Proceed.”
Solution 2: You Need to Fix the Mismatch
Results regarding the error will be displayed on the system. The corrupt or damaged file should automatically be detected and repaired. If the issue still is unresolved, you can perform the next troubleshooting – Fix the mismatch.
Use the system having the company file. Next, rename the .ND and TLG files to repair the company damaged data files following steps;
- Find and open the company folder.
- Search for company file. The TLG file and company file will be of the same name but will have different extensions.
- Rename the company file. Change the name or just add “old” or anything at the end of the file name. Note: Make sure that you don’t delete or change extension or “qbw.nd” which is at the end of the company file. Ex: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD
- Also, rename the transaction log following the same instructions mentioned in the previous point.
- Click “Exit.”
- Open QuickBooks and check if you can login to the company file.
You may also like: How to Check QuickBooks Product Version and Release?
Solution 3: Single Mode User Check
- Restart the computer.
- Copy data file to the desktop or any location other than its source.
- Copy the data file once again to its original location.
- Put credentials to sign into QuickBooks.
Note: If the error code still persists, follow the next solution – Single Mode User Check. There should be no user logged in the QuickBooks Data File when you perform the following steps;
Solution 4: Update the QuickBooks software and the backup files
In case the user is facing an issue as he/she has updated the company file using a different system, but not changing the transaction log file, then it is suggested to update the software for the backup files to fix the issue. Continue with the following steps:
- The user needs to first update the QuickBooks desktop.
- Move to the Help menu of the menu bar
- Go for Update the QuickBooks desktop option
- Head to the Options tab
- Hit the Mark all option
- Now click on the save option.
- Also click on the Update now tab
- And hit the Reset update box.
- Click on Get updates option.
- When the message update displays on the screen, close QuickBooks.
- Now, reopen QuickBooks, and Install updates, if any.
- Reboot the system and check if the issue is resolved or not
Other Methods for fixing QuickBooks error -6190 and -816
In case the above methods didn’t help in fixing the issue, then we recommend you to perform the below methods and try eliminating the issue:
Method 1: Use the QuickBooks refresher tool
- Under this procedure, it is suggested to close the QuickBooks desktop on all the systems.
- Once done with that, download the QB refresher tool from the official Intuit website.
- And then, search for the qbrefresherv1.exe file in the downloads and open it.
- The user needs to then click on the option stating Fix my QuickBooks in refresher tool and wait till the diagnosing process is complete.
- Now, open the QuickBooks desktop and check if you are able to open the company files or not.
Method 2: Update the Windows
- The user needs to first opt for the Start menu.
- Now, click on the settings tab and choose the Update and security option.
- The user needs to then open the Windows update tab.
- Followed by, clicking on the Check for updates option.
- After the update is complete, Reinstall QuickBooks software, and you are done with the process
Method 3: Repair the Windows Registry files
- Here, the user needs to hit the Start menu.
- Once done with that enter in command in the search bar
- Followed by pressing ctrl + shift + enter tabs respectively
- This will ask the user to enter the admin details
- Now enter regedit and hit the enter tab
- Followed by, clicking on the key linked with the error.
- And then hit the Export tab.
- Press the Save tab.
- Ensure to save the file with the .reg extension.
- Now, perform the onscreen steps
Method 4: Remove the temporary files
- At first, open the windows search bar and then click on the start menu
- Followed by entering run in the search bar
- Enter cleanmgr and hit the enter tab
- A disk cleanup window will appear on the screen
- Opt for the Junk file size and also hit on the OK tab.
Method 5: Install QuickBooks database server manager on the server
- The user needs to first download the QuickBooks database server manager on the server and then install it.
- After that head to the Start menu.
- Now, in the Search tab, enter QuickBooks database server manager.
- Also, open QBDBSM.
- Update this database manager to the latest version.
- Reboot the server after the update process ends.
- Open the QuickBooks desktop on all of the workstations and servers.
Method 6: Go for System Restore
- Under this process, you need to press windows icon and also click on start tab
- Once done with that search for system restore using the search bar
- After that hit the enter tab
- Open the system restore tool tab
- Now carry out the onscreen steps
- Followed by entering the password if needed
- The restoration process might take a few minutes to complete
- Lastly, continue working with the QuickBooks software
Above are the possible fixes for QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816. If you are still unable to access QuickBooks, you can buy Intuit’s Auto Data Recovery tool. You can also contact our qualified experts to fix this error or any other error for you in the least possible time.
QuickBooks file doctor is a tool designed to eliminate issues that are related to company files or other files associated with QuickBooks. This tool is available in two different types i.e., standalone version and built in version. It can be downloaded from the Intuit website easily or can be accessed using QuickBooks tool hub.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager usually lets the user share the company files with another system over network. It further helps in monitoring your multi-user network. When you set up a network, you need to have QuickBooks Database Server Manager running so users can access your company files.
The Windows registry is a database that stores important operating information for the user profiles, utilities and programs installed on the computer. The registry entries for QuickBooks stores data that can disrupt future installations of the software if not properly removed.
The QuickBooks tool hub is a one stop solution for all sorts of QuickBooks related tools. One can access different tools from tool hub to eliminate the errors that come across while working on the software.
Few Other 6000 Series Errors:
Few Different type of QuickBooks 6000 Series Errors User May See in QuickBooks:
- QB Error Code -6000, -83 – This Error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file.
- QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -80 – Error -6000, -80 in QuickBooks Software arises when a user tried to access the company file.
- QB Error Code -6000, -77 – This QuickBooks Error 6000-77 occurs due to when we access the company file.
- QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -301 – QuickBooks is trying to access the company file but cannot contact the database server
- QB Error Code -6000 – The QuickBooks Errors -6000 can happen on both local and network setup.
- QB Error Code -6000-304 – This error occurs when a user tries to open a company file, or QuickBooks Desktop attempts to open a company file.
- QB Error Code -6000-82-or-6000-106 – QuickBooks Error -6000, -82 or -6000, -106 occur when the user tries to open or access a company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
- QB Error Code -6000-301 – The QuickBooks Errors 6000, 301 occurred when QuickBooks Desktop tried to access the company file.