Business owners across the world trust QuickBooks for their accounting and bookkeeping tasks. A robust accounting software, QuickBooks has tools and features that are user-friendly. Though it’s a state-of-the-art software, but like any other software, it isn’t completely void of errors. Users may, at times, come across a few errors that could disrupt their workflow. One common issue that users often report is QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -77. If you too have come across this error while accessing the “company file” you can’t read on this blog post to find all the possible reason and solutions of this error.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 301?
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6000, 77?
Whenever the file is stored in the incorrect folder, QuickBooks Error -6000 -77 occurs. Now-a-days the accounting standards and the accounting software have transformed the way people used to manage their businesses. Now as both cloud and basis are available, the growth of the businesses has been triggered and helps them take their functions to the next level. When it is hit with errors, it shows up pop-up messages and stops users from working.
The image as shown below is similar which appears on your desktop.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 6000, 77?
One or more of the following reasons may cause QB Error -6000, -77:
- Company file needs to be present on the local drive which is located on an external storage device.
- Number of files opened with reference to the mapped drive on QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks is running in multi-user mode while communicating the problem.
- The company file is present on external storage instead of being in the local drive or a network.
- A folder having the company file shows “Incorrect folder permission”.
- A mapped drive is opening the company file.
Reaction: All this results in QuickBooks file becoming corrupt or damage.
Note: Restarting the system can fix the issue.
Instant Fixes for the error
Before you move ahead to perform the steps discussed in this segment, here are a few steps you can perform:
- You can firstly reboot the QuickBooks software with more permissions. In many cases, the issue is removed after the software restarts and further work is required
- You can also run the QuickBooks file doctor tool. The tool has the ability to repair the damaged or corrupted QuickBooks files. The utility fails in QuickBooks file recovery and fix the error. This is for its weak and basic underlying technology.
- Move the company file to a local or network drive, if it was previously on an external storage device. You need to try and open the QBW file in QuickBooks.
- If the company file references the mapped drive, then change the settings and opt for the right server. You can do this by clicking on the open or restore in the file menu and select the open a company file and click on network place. Hit on the entire network and select the server in which the company file is stored.
Quick Methods to fix QuickBooks Error 6000 77 (Infographic)
- Close QuickBooks, right click on QuickBooks Desktop and click on ‘Run as Administrator’
- If the files are on an external drive, then copy the company file.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 404?
How to Fix the QuickBooks Error Code 6000, 77?
Below are some solutions that you can follow to resolve this error:
Solution 1: Re-create the damaged folder
- Create a new folder on the C:\ drive
- Open the folder that has the company file data saved
- Locate the “.qbw” file
- Right click on the .qbw file and select “Copy”
- Create a new folder (do a right click and select new > folder)
- Paste the “.qbw file” in the new folder
- Create an “Access” with windows permissions so that the company file will be shareable
- Open QuickBooks file from the new file location
Solution 2: Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- Firstly, You need to Download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool on your computer.
- File doctor tool will detect the company file errors automatically and try to debug it.
Solution 3: Rename .ND and .TLG files:
Rewrite the extensions of .ND and .TLG which help to configure files allowing QuickBooks Desktop to access company files in multi-user mode. Errors are seen while opening QuickBooks Desktop if harm .ND and .TLG files are there. If you rename these files, then there will be no data loss while opening or scanning the company file using QuickBooks database server manager. They occur automatically.
- Open the folder that has the company file stored.
- Locate files with the same name of a company file with these two extensions as “.ND” and “.TLG”
- Find the files with the same file name as your company file, but they should be with the extension .ND and .TLG. Ex: company_file.qbw.ND, company_file.qbw.TLG
- Select “.ND/.TLG” file, do a right click and click “Rename” option
- Add the word “.old” after adding an extension and press “Enter” key. (Example: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD, company_file.qbw.tlg.old)
Read Also: How to Check QuickBooks Product Version and Release?
Solution 4: Configure firewall and security software settings
- Configure the “Firewall port settings” to automatic.
- Manually configure exceptions for all firewall ports.
- Either install an “Anti-virus” defender or appropriately configure it.
Solution 5: Try UNC Path Instead of the Mapped Drive
- Right-click on QuickBooks icon, press and hold the “Ctrl key” on your keyboard, and select “Run as Administrator” option.
- Hold down the “Ctrl key” till the “No Company Open” window appears.
Note: When you will hold down the “Ctrl key“, it will prevent QuickBooks Desktop from auto-opening a company files.
- From the File menu, select “Open or Restore Company” > Open a company file > “Next“.
- In the left pane, click “Network” settings, and navigate to the location of your company file.
Note: If you can’t find the folder having the company file, you may need to set folder permissions.
- Select the company file and click Open.
Solution 6: Removing any blank spaces in the filename
Any blank spaces or characters in the company file name, can cause issues in QuickBooks. Thus, get rid of any blank spaces or characters from the file name using the steps below:
- At first, the user needs to log out of the QuickBooks desktop software application on the systems where QuickBooks is open.
- Next step is to move to the QuickBooks company file and open it.
- Move to the QuickBooks company file, you need to right-click on it and choose the Rename option.
- Opt for the name of the company file and enter it. Also, check that there is no space in it, and then remove any spaces between the file extension and also the company name.
- Open the QuickBooks company file and create it.
Solution 7: General fixation steps
Other than the above steps, we recommend you perform the steps discussed below to get rid of such an error in QuickBooks. Let us have a look:
- The user needs to first reboot QuickBooks with more permissions
- At, times, a mere reboot can fix the issue
- Another alternative is to move the company file to a local folder or network drive, only when it was stored on an external storage device previously. The user will then have to open the QBW file in QuickBooks and check if the issue exists
- If the company file references the mapped drive, then the user will have to change
- the settings and choose the right server
- Tap on to open or restore option in the File menu.
- Select Open a company file and click on Network place.
- After that, click on the Entire network
- Go for the Server having the company file.
- Lastly, check if the solution worked or not, and then reboot the software
Some Other Helpful tips to solve this error:
- Get more permission and reboot the QuickBooks software. Most of the times, error removes as one restarts the system and thus, and fixes the issue.
- Run a QuickBooks file doctor. It will repair the damaged QuickBooks files.
- Shift the company file to local drive if it is on an external storage device. Open QBW file in QuickBooks and check if error still occurs.
See Also: How to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error code 6130?
We hope that this blog post helps you in fixing the QuickBooks Error 6000, 77. Though the error is complicated, above-mentioned troubleshooting steps are dependable and have been tried by any users and experts. In case QuickBooks -6000 Series Errors or you face any other issue while opening company file or performing any other action, you can contact our QuickBooks enterprise support team anytime at +1-844-405-0907.
For setting up your company and QuickBooks training get online with certified ProAdvisors today!
The QuickBooks file doctor tool is designed in a way to get rid of errors that are related to the company file and are experienced when working on QuickBooks. This tool can be easily downloaded from the official Intuit website.
File extensions in QuickBooks are usually used to identify the file and the information inside. There are a handful of file extensions that are available in QuickBooks, that help the users to identify different files.
More Helpful Topics
How to resolve QuickBooks payroll error 15223?
How to Fix the QuickBooks Error Code 6007?
Steps to Clean Up before you upgrade to QuickBooks desktop 2019
Some FAQs Related to QuickBooks Error 6000 77
QuickBooks Error 6000-77 is a common error encountered by users when attempting to open a company file. This error may disrupt normal business operations by preventing access to critical financial data. It is usually caused by issues with file permissions, corrupt or damaged company files, or problems with the network connection.
To resolve QuickBooks Error 6000-77, you can try the following steps:
Ensure QuickBooks is updated to the latest version.
Run the File Doctor tool to diagnose and repair any potential company file issues.
Check file permissions and configure the required settings.
Verify your network connection and ensure your firewall or antivirus isn’t blocking QuickBooks.
Can I contact QuickBooks support for assistance with Error 6000-77?
Yes, if you’re unable to resolve QuickBooks Error 6000-77 using the suggested steps, you can reach out to QuickBooks support for professional assistance. Contact our toll-free number +1-844-405-0907, and our skilled technicians will guide you through the troubleshooting process.
QuickBooks Error 6000-77 is part of the 6000 error series, which includes other errors such as 6000-80, 6000-82, 6000-83, and 6000-301. These errors are generally related to issues with company files, network connections, or file permissions.