QuickBooks file doctor is by far one of the most sought-after tools offered by Intuit, the developer of QuickBooks. As the name suggests, this tool is designed in a way to culminate all sorts of company file and QuickBooks related file issues. If you have been a QuickBooks user for a while now, you might have at least once heard about the QuickBooks file doctor tool. This particular tool was introduced in the year 2012 by Intuit, and since then it has been helping businesses to eliminate different errors that are experienced when working on QuickBooks.
QuickBooks file doctor tool automatically detects the company file and QuickBooks related file errors and performs the necessary steps to fix them on its own. A bunch of steps can be performed to download, install, set up, and use QuickBooks file doctor tool, which we have tried to elaborate later in this piece of writing. You can access the file doctor tool using QuickBooks tool hub. You can stick around this article to understand the QuickBooks File doctor tool in detail. However, in case you need any professional help, then need not worry, as you are backed by certified professionals of the Host Docket team, and they will guide you through the right solution.
Ring us up at +1-800-360-4183, and get all your queries and doubts not just regarding QuickBooks file doctor, but any issue related to QuickBooks answered by certified professionals. Now, let us dive in deep and explore further about QuickBooks file doctor tool.
Learn more about Tool Hub here- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub
A Quick Overview of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
What’s the first thing that comes to your mind, when we say QuickBooks file doctor tool? Well, it might surely relate to files associated with QuickBooks. In simple words, QuickBooks file doctor tool is basically a file-repairing tool that can be used to fix errors that are often encountered when working on QuickBooks accounting software and especially the errors that are associated with the files. This particular tool is integrated or built-in only in QuickBooks 2016 and the later versions. It is further available to download from the official Intuit website.
Note: This tool works only for the UK and US versions of QuickBooks and is compatible with all QuickBooks desktop versions for windows. If you are a Mac user, you won’t be able to access this tool and avail of its benefits. Here is what else you should know about QuickBooks file doctor tool!
Errors You Can Fix Using QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Just in case you are having any issue when opening the company file, then QuickBooks file doctor tool can help you with that. However, other than that, you can try rectifying this error using the steps enumerated below:
|Error Code -6150||Error Code -6000 -305||QB Error Code -6000 -82|
|QuickBooks Error Code -6000 -301||Network Errors||Installation Errors|
|Error in updating QuickBooks||Firewall port poorly configured||QB error 6147, or Error -6130|
|Other Errors in 6000 series||Multi-user mode errors||Damaged Company files|
|Damaged Windows registry||Data corruption errors||Malware Attack hard drive|
|QuickBooks database server manager related bugs||Unable to open QuickBooks company file||Missing or blank vendor, customer, or employee lists|
|Various H series errors||QuickBooks error H202||QB error code H505|
Different Types of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Did you know that there are two types of file doctor tool? Well, many of you might not know that, but QuickBooks file doctor tool can be categorized into two different types, namely:
- QBFD Stand Alone Versions- This is used from the server where only the QuickBooks database server manager component is installed to host file.
- Whereas the other version i.e., QuickBooks file doctor built-in version comes in handy with QuickBooks 2016 and later versions.
Is QuickBooks file doctor tool compatible?
Well, here is a quick analysis of the compatibility of QuickBooks file doctor tool. Let us have a look:
- QuickBooks file doctor tool comes built-in for QuickBooks 2016 and later versions. It works well with all QuickBooks desktop for windows versions.
- Note that it is not yet compatible with QuickBooks for Mac versions.
You might find this helpful: How to Fix QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer?
Quick Facts about QuickBooks Doctor Tool
Before you proceed with the steps to download and install QuickBooks file doctor tool, here are some quick important things overview that you should keep in mind.
- Uninstall the existing QBFD before downloading the latest version, to avoid any sort of errors.
- Note that all QuickBooks versions post 2015 come with an inbuilt file doctor tool, but it is suggested to use the external file doctor tool only, as it carries various features that the inbuilt one didn’t possess.
- If you are a QuickBooks for Mac user, then file doctor tool isn’t for you. Mac users won’t be able to access the file doctor tool.
- The file doctor tool might show up on its own, in case of any error. All you would have to do is to click on the start tab and let the tool perform its fixation steps.
Steps to Download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
You can try performing the below steps to download the file doctor tool successfully.
- Download QuickBooks tool hub and move to downloads section by pressing ctrl + J.
- Save the file where you can easily find it.
- Click on QuickBooksToolsHub.exe to open the file.
- Click on the yes tab to accept the license agreement.
- Further, click on the next tab along with the install option.
- When the install process ends, click on finish tab
- You are now supposed to click on the icon to open the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Under the tool hub, you will find the company file issues tab, clicking on which you will be guided to a screen showing file doctor tool option.
- Run file doctor tool from there and proceed to the steps discussed ahead.
Quick tips before running file doctor tool
Now that you have downloaded the tool hub, it is time to run this tool. Before exploring the steps to run the tool, it is essential to go through the below discussed pointers to avoid any error later on.
- Before you try to access the file doctor tool, make sure you have the admin credentials.
- A proper internet connection is something you can’t skip.
- Another essential point is to keep a check on the file size. The file size limit is 1.5 GB.
- Make sure that you have installed a single version of QuickBooks, to avoid any error in between the process.
- Update QuickBooks to the latest release before accessing the QBFD.
Steps to Run QuickBooks file doctor
Once you are thorough with the points to remember, it is time to run QuickBooks file doctor tool. Perform the below steps for this:
- To run QuickBooks file doctor tool, go for the company file issues tab in the tool hub.
- You will see the centre option stating QBFD. Running the tool might take some time.
- Be patient till the tool runs.
- Now, choose the company file from the drop-down menu. In case you are unable to find the file, browse and look for the file.
- Select check the file option and hit continue.
- Towards the end, enter QuickBooks admin password and click on next.
Note that, the scan time completely depends upon the file size and might take around 10-15 minutes in general. After the scan is complete, make sure to open the company file and check if the error was resolved successfully.
Also Check Out: How To Set Up a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks?
Steps to run QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor stand-alone versions
The steps below can help you in using and running the stand-alone version of QuickBooks file doctor tool successfully. Let us explore the steps one by one:
- Download or access the latest version of QuickBooks file doctor tool to use stand-alone version. You can download it from the official Intuit Website.
- Double click the file doctor tool icon and perform the onscreen steps to complete the installation process.
- Once the tool is installed and it doesn’t show up on the screen, open it from the taskbar.
- Click on browse and find the damaged company file.
- Start the file diagnosis.
- You will be provided with two options in the file doctor tool window.
- There, you need to choose the one that is suitable according to your issue.
- The options are self-explanatory and help you in deciding.
- Just in case you have received 6000 series errors or the company file gets damaged, go for the first option.
- Or else, in case of network issues, choose the second option.
- Enter the company file admin password and click on next.
- Go for any of the two options mentioned below, to continue diagnosing and fixing the issue.
- Workstation option: Select this, if you are operating diagnosis and troubleshooting a client’s system. This indicates that the company file isn’t stored or hosted on the system.
- Server Option: In case you are diagnosing and fixing issues on QuickBooks client system i.e., QuickBooks company file isn’t stored or hosted on the system.
- Click on the yes tab and in case you are working on QuickBooks server/host.
- Or choose not, if you are on the QuickBooks workstation.
- QuickBooks file doctor tool will repair the company files on its own.
- Wait for the process to end, and do not disrupt the process in between.
- When the process ends, close the file doctor tool.
- Open the company file at the end of the process.
Use Built-In QuickBooks doctor tool using the steps below
The built-in file doctor tool only supports windows 10, 8, 7, and MS Server 2003-2012. Note that, you can repair the network and company file issues using this tool and it only supports the US, UK, and Canada QuickBooks versions. The tool is helpful in repairing files and data and need not to be downloaded separately. In case the .NET framework 2.0 is not present on the desktop, then the file doctor tool will install it via the diagnostic tool. You can carry out the below steps to use the built-in file doctor tool successfully.
- Start with launching QuickBooks and ensure that the company file remains unopened.
- Move to the file menu and choose the utilities tab.
- Go for repair file and run QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- Click on browse option and select the company file that requires repair and further click on open tab.
- Choose the type of fix from the show advanced settings window and click on the next tab.
- Enter the admin ID and password and hit next.
- Towards the end, try to launch the company file again.
What Are the Common Outcomes of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
After you run the QuickBooks file doctor tool, you can see the following outcomes on the screen:
- QBFD didn’t detect any problem
This outcome states that the tool didn’t find any bug and it might require you to re-login the company file. You can also set up the auto data recovery and enter the transactions since the last backup.
- QBFD diagnoses and fixes the issue
Another outcome can be that the tool identifies and fixes the error for you. Later on, you will need to open a new company when the process ends. This is the most favorable outcome so far.
- Error detected but can’t be resolved
In this case, it can happen that when you run the file doctor tool, it spots the issue but is unable to rectify it. In such a scenario, you must use the auto data recovery tool and also enter the transactions manually.
What to do after repairing the QuickBooks company file?
After the tool has identified the issue and fixed it, you will have to back up the company file in a removable hard drive. Note that you should backup the data right at the end of every month.
If the file doctor is not working:
In some situations, you might not be able to use the QB file doctor tool and an error might come up on your screen stating “file doctor is not working”. This is possible due to the following factors:
- When you are trying to update the company file
- In case you forgot to install any company file during installation.
- If you are unable to restore the files
- Or if there is any damage or corruption in the files
- Under this process to fix the issue, you will have to restore QuickBooks backup.
- Use auto data recovery to fix QuickBooks file doctor not working issue.
- Further configure the third-party antivirus software and also turn off the hosting mode.
Are there any limitations to QuickBooks doctor tool?
Well, not everything can be perfect. There are certain limitations to the file doctor tool including:
- The company file size should be less than 2GB.
- You will need a proper internet connection to upload the company file.
- To access the tool and perform the steps, admin access is a must.
- In case you have multiple versions of QuickBooks installed, then you might find it difficult to access the network connectivity diagnosis and repair option.
- Also, if the database server manager is installed, you might find it difficult to access these features.
There is a lot to learn and understand about the QuickBooks Desktop file doctor tool. It is one of the most promising QuickBooks tools to dump errors that are associated with the company file. We have tried to list as much information as possible in this particular segment. Now that you have reached this section of the article, we believe you might have understood the steps to make the optimum use of this software. On the contrary, if you find this tool a bit difficult to operate, or if there is any query disturbing you, do not hesitate in contacting our tech support team at +1-800-360-4183, and they will ensure that all your doubts and queries are answered in the best possible way. So, do not hesitate to reach out to us immediately to get rid of all sorts of errors in QuickBooks.
Frequent Asked Questions
Download QuickBooks File Doctor using the QuickBooks Tool Hub utility. You can find the QuickBooks File Doctor tool within the QuickBooks Tools Hub under Company File Issues Tab.
QuickBooks File Doctor tool is a tool that authorizes the user to rectify the errors and resolve the issues in the best possible manner. This tool is available in two versions, one which is built-in and the other named as stand-alone version. Both the versions help to check and fix the errors that occur in the company file. In a nutshell, QuickBooks File Doctor tool is a tool to get rid of errors and issues that the user encounters while using the QuickBooks Software.
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool generally helps to rectify errors such as Error -6150, Error -6000 -82, Error -6000 -305, Error -6000 -301, Error -6147, Error -6130. Also, the file doctor tool can be used in case the users have missed or blank lists for the customers and employees. Not only this, but the file doctor tool can also be used in case the file is strongly damaged and doesn’t open.
QB File Doctor tool has two versions, one is the built-in file doctor tool, and another is the stand-alone version. File Doctor stand-alone version is generally used from the server and is not built-in. Whereas, the built-in version of the file doctor tool is the version that is available in the QuickBooks version 2016 and later. As per the experts, out of the two versions, QuickBooks file doctor tool stand-alone version should be preferred.
Other Related Articles: