Get to know the troubleshooting of Error: QuickBooks unable to open Company File
QuickBooks is an extraordinary software that allows entrepreneurs to manage their accounting activities and other business tasks. At times, this amazing software might come up with certain glitches as well. One such error is QuickBooks unable to open company file. Well, it is very much frustrating when the QuickBooks user is unable open the company file. If you are also facing similar issue, then there is no need to panic, as this article is there to rescue you.
In this article, we will be discussing the facts related to this error just like, the triggers, symptoms, rectification, etc. A quick fix to this error can be consulting our 24X7 QuickBooks Support team at our toll-free number, .i.e. +1-844-405-0907.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6147, 0?
Why does QuickBooks Company file can’t open error occurs?
The error QuickBooks unable to open company file can be caused due to several factors. Before exploring the troubleshooting steps, it is very much important to first find out the actual reason behind it. The reasons include:
- The very first reason can be issue with the file location and extension.
- Another reason can be corrupt hard disk.
- In case the same file is opened on a shared network, the user might encounter this type of error.
- If the user applies incorrect methods to open certain files.
- Issue with reports in the file might end up in such errors.
- Damaged QuickBooks Company files can be another factor that triggers such errors.
- Using outdated version of QuickBooks Desktop might lead to this type of error.
Error messages you might see:
Certain error messages appear on the screen, in case of the error QuickBooks unable to open company file. The error messages include:
- C= messages like Error C=422 or Error C=343
- Unrecoverable error messages
- Error Code 3371
- QuickBooks Error -6073, -99001
- QuickBooks Error -6073, -816
- -6000 series error
Safety measures to take before beginning with the rectification process
- The QuickBooks users should ensure that the issue is with the company file and not with the program itself.
- The next thing to be considered is that the user should have an updated QuickBooks version, in order to avoid any mess.
- Also, the user should ensure that QuickBooks Desktop is not corrupted.
- Lastly, the company file should be hosted only by one computer.
What are symptoms of the error?
- If your system hangs quite frequently, then this can be the system of error QuickBooks unable to open company file.
- If your QuickBooks Desktop is not responding.
- Improper installation can also be one of the symptoms.
- Sluggish response by the computer to the keyboard and mouse inputs.
- If the user is not able to open QuickBooks company file, then this can be another symptom.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82?
Troubleshooting Error: QuickBooks unable to Open Company File the error
Now as you have explored the causes, symptoms, error messages, as well as the safety measures, it is time to find out the ways to get rid of the error QuickBooks unable to open company file.
In order to rectify this glitch, the user has a few available options. We will be discussing each of the solution and the steps to be followed in each of the solution. So, without wasting much time, let us begin:
Process 1: Open the file directly from the QuickBooks
- To begin with, press and hold the ‘Ctrl key’, at the time of double-clicking in the QuickBooks icon.
- The next step is, until no window QuickBooks file open, the user should not let go the hold key.
- Moving to the next step, once the QuickBooks program opens up, the user is required to ensure that only a single computer is hosting the company file. In case more than one computer is hosting the company file, then the user is required to close down the other servers that open the company file.
- Now, the QuickBooks user has to turn off the hosting in other computers by following the steps enumerated below:
- The first step is to go to the ‘File‘ and then click on the ‘Utilities‘ and then click on the ‘Stop hosting multi-user access‘.
- At the time when the user follow the above step and stop hosting the multi-user access, a message will appear on the screen, and on that the user is required to select ‘Yes‘.
- Once the company file is closed, a message will appear on the screen, on which you have to choose for ‘Yes‘ and you are good to go.
- This error message generally displays on every client computer.
- Now, the user is required to visit the ‘No Company‘ window, and then select the file, followed by selecting the ‘Utilities‘ option.
- Once done with the above step, the user can confirm that the menu option of the host multi-user access is displayed. It should be noted that one or more than one client computers can display the menu options on the screen. The client computers prevent hosting multi-user access, that indicates that they are already hosting multi-user access.
- Now, choose the ‘Option‘ to stop multi-user access hosted on any client computer, display hosting of ‘Stop multi-user access‘, and then the user is required to follow the prompts to stop the hosting.
- The last step is to try to open the problem file again, after which the log-in window would appear on the screen.
Process 2: Change the location of the Company File
- To begin with this process, ‘Create a new folder in C: Drive‘.
- The next step is to open the QuickBooks company file folder location.
- After that, press and hold the ‘Ctrl key‘.
- Moving ahead, choose the company file.
- Now, right-click the ‘File‘ and then click on ‘Copy‘.
- Last step is to navigate to the new folder, and then opt for ‘Paste‘.
Process 3: Check Properties and File Extension
- In this process, the first step is to press ‘Windows and E keys‘ simultaneously, to open the ‘Windows Explorer‘.
- After that, visit the folder where the company file is located.
- Now, ensure that you select the ‘QuickBooks company file‘ and also the file size should be at least 7 MB.
- Moving ahead, go to ‘Advanced‘ and also ensure that the compress and encrypt attributes boxes are checked.
- The last step is to tap on ‘OK‘.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6150?
Process 4: Rename the company file
- First of all, open the ‘QuickBooks Company file folder‘ location.
- After that the user should right-click on the ‘Company file‘.
- Now, tap on the ‘Rename‘.
- The next step is to ‘Change the name‘ of the file.
- Once done with that, ensure that this new name shouldn’t exceed 3 letters.
- If .TLG is available, rename it as well.
Process 5: Renaming the .TLG and .ND extensions
- The first step in this process is to ‘Open the QuickBooks company file‘ folder location.
- After that, right-click on the ‘Transaction log‘ file.
- Once done with that, rename the file to ‘OLD.qbw.TLG‘.
- The next step is to ‘Open the company file‘.
- And then, QuickBooks software will automatically create the files of the ‘.TLG and .ND‘ extensions.
- The point to be noted here is that the user shouldn’t delete these files, as they could be used to recover the lost data.
See this also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error PS077 or PS032?
Process 6: Preventing the automatic opening of QuickBooks Windows
- The very first step is to go to the ‘No Company Open Window‘.
- After that, ‘Find the company file‘.
- The next step is to press and hold the ‘ALT‘ key.
- Once done with that, tap on ‘Open‘,
Once you have opened the company file, then carry out the steps below:
- First of all, go to the ‘Edit‘ menu.
- After that, click the ‘Preferences‘ option.
- The next step is to select the ‘Desktop view‘.
- And then, click on the ‘Don’t save‘ the desktop option.
- The last step is to click on ‘OK‘, and you are good to go.
Process 7: Troubleshooting the Installation
The user should move the company file to a different system, and then try to open it there, and if the file works on that system, then the issues lies in your system or QuickBooks desktop original installation. In such cases, you can do the following:
Read this also: How to Fix Script Error When Accessing QuickBooks Desktop?
Process 8: Run QuickBooks file doctor tool
- Here, the user needs to download the most recent version of QuickBooks tool hub
- And then, save the file where it is easily accessible.
- Open the previous file
- Now, perform the onscreen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions
- Now, double click the icon on the windows desktop for the purpose of opening the tool hub
- Select company file issues tab from QuickBooks tool hub
- Run QuickBooks file doctor tab
- This might take some time, then launch the file manually
- Choose the company file option from the drop-down menu in the tool
- In case you are unable to find it, choose the browse option
- Choose check your file option and click on continue tab
- Enter the admin password and hit next tab
Process 9: Open a sample company file
- The very first step is to head to the windows start menu
- And then, type in file explorer and open the same
- After that, find the QuickBooks.exe file and you can find this file in the QuickBooks folder
- Find the file then hold the ctrl tab and double click on the QuickBooks.exe file
- Don’t release the ctrl tab until the QuickBooks software doesn’t open completely
- Choose QuickBooks from the desktop and click on the ctrl until QuickBooks opens
- The last step is to choose to open the sample file
- In case the sample file opens normally, then this indicates that there are issues with the company file. Fix the issue through the QuickBooks tool hub and then run the Quick fix my program.
Process 10 : Turning off the hosting on workstations
In case you are using the QuickBooks application in single user mode or the company file is not hosted on any network, then this step can be skipped. The user can try performing the steps below:
- The user needs to first open QuickBooks on any one of the workstations
- And then, open the company file and head to the files from the top menu bar and then choose the utility tab
- The next step is to check if host multi user access is available in the options. If yes, then head to the next workstation
- Or if you see stop hosting multi user access, then click on it
- And perform the same steps on all workstations
- Now move to the server computer
- Open the QuickBooks application on the server system
- And then click on the file menu and choose the utility tab
- If you see the host multi user access option and choose it
- Head to the file menu and choose utlities and choose stop hosting multi user access
- Click on the file menu and head to utility tab and choose host multi user access option
Process 11: Turn off the save when closing feature
- The user needs to first open QuickBooks desktop
- After that, move to the no company open window and select the company file
- Press the alt tab and choose the open option
- Don’t release the alt tab and wait till the company file is not open
After the company file is opened, turn off the save when closing feature. This can be done by performing the steps below:
- The first step is to choose on edit tab and also select the preferences tab
- The next step is to click on desktop view tab
- Choose the don’t save the desktop and save it
- Lastly, close the QuickBooks and open it and try opening the company file
With this we come to the end of this article, and also we hope that these methods will help in tackling it.
However, if you are a new user and unable to get rid of the error even after following the above steps, then you can consult our QuickBooks enterprise support team by dialing our toll-free number .i.e. +1-844-405-0907.
To restore company file in QuickBooks, one simply needs to right-click the file or folder, and then choose Restore previous versions. A list of available previous versions of the file or folder will appear. It will also include files saved on a backup as well as restore points, if both types are available.
Fix the company file issues or the company file in QuickBooks using the steps below:
1. Move to the File menu
2. Hover over Utilities and choose Rebuild Data.
3. On the QuickBooks Information window, choose OK tab.
4. Let the tool repair your file.
5. After the tool finishes, choose OK.
6. Head to the File menu.
7. And let the tool check your file for data issues.
To open QuickBooks without opening company file, you need to press and hold the Ctrl key. After that, double click your QuickBooks program icon. And, hold the Ctrl key until you have the no Company Open window.
Some other useful links:
How QuickBooks helps you to grow your business? (10 Ways)