Technical glitches in QuickBooks are something that can hamper the smooth working of the software. Therefore, eliminating these bugs as soon as possible is a must. One such error that you might bump into when working on QuickBooks accounting software is QuickBooks error code 6150, 1006. This error belongs to the 6000-error series, which is usually related to the company file. You can come across this issue when opening or using company files. Another situation where you come across such an error is when you try to open the backup file by changing the extension. There can be a bunch of factors triggering such an error in QuickBooks, which we will be elaborating later in this segment.
Thus, make sure to stick around this piece of writing till the end. Or you can further connect with our technical support team for any sort of QuickBooks related assistance. Reach out to us at +1-800-360-4183, and we will provide you with immediate support services for all sorts of QuickBooks related queries.
What is QuickBooks error 6150, -1006?
QuickBooks error 6150, -1006 is one of the commonly encountered errors that could be seen when the user finds that he/she is unable to open the company file. When the user encounters this error, the very first thing to do is to detect the actual cause, and then move to the resolving procedures. If you are also facing any such error, then this article will help in fixing it without any hassle.
The following error messages may on your desktop screen when error 6150 and 1006 occurs:
An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to create, open, or use the company file. Please try again.
If the problem persists, contact Intuit Technical Support and provide them with the following error codes: (6150 and -1006).
We are sorry. QuickBooks couldn’t open your company file. We’ll try to fix the problem. Click start to begin. If the problem continues, contact support for assistance and report error code: (6150, -1006)
Another error message that can appear out of nowhere is: “Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue. the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue”
You may also see: How to Convert Quicken Data into QuickBooks Desktop?
Factors that might trigger this error -6150, -1006
You can experience such an error due to the following factors:
- When you try to save QuickBooks Mac file while using QuickBooks Windows, then experiencing this issue is pretty common.
- You might also experience a similar issue in case of an incorrect extension for QuickBooks.
- Another trigger for such an error can be if the QBW or the company file gets damaged. This would require creating a portable backup file.
- You can end up in this issue if accessing a portable file without opening the software.
- Moreover, if you have deleted QuickBooks-related files mistakenly
- You can face this issue when accessing a portable file (.qbm) without opening the software.
- If your QuickBooks software is not installed properly on the system, then you can experience this issue.
- Another possible factor can be damaged Windows registry files.
- Any virus or malware attack can also trigger this error for you.
Important Points to Remember:
- If the folder where the QuickBooks company file is stored has DECRYPT_INSTRUCTIONS (.txt or .html) document, then the system is infected.
- Along with QuickBooks company file, the CryptoWall virus can harm other files and programs as well.
- Also, the Intuit Data Services won’t be able to repair the infected files for the corruption is severe.
Signs of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006
There are certain indicators of the QuickBooks error code 6150, 1006, that would help you in spotting the error and perform the right set of steps to eliminate it. These indicators include:
- One of the basic signs can be if your system crashes quite frequently when you run the same program
- You can also experience the issue when the error displays on the screen itself and crashes the program window.
- Another possible trigger can be if the windows run sluggishly and don’t respond to the keyboard and mouse inputs.
- Just in case your system freezes for a few seconds, then you might experience this issue.
Quick Fix for QuickBooks error 6150
Before you jump on to the entire procedure to eliminate the issue, you can try performing these quick fixes.
- Note that if you came across this issue due to a file extension of the company file, then try replacing the file extension and saving the company file with the right file extension.
- Furthermore, you can try ensuring that the company file is initiated on another system.
- Try to reinstall the software to update the file and software.
- Save the QuickBooks Macintosh in the mac system to avoid any errors.
- Moreover, before opening the company file, make sure to update your system to the latest version.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code -6150, -1006?
If you have received QuickBooks Error -6150, -1006, you can try the following solutions. However, you can take instant help from QuickBooks error support team to resolve this error.
Solution 1: Restore a backup of company file
The user will be able to fix QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006 by restoring the backup of company file.
The point to be noted here is that after the user converts a company file to a later version of QB, he/she cannot open it in a previous version. In case the user wants to use the previous QB version, then in that case he/she needs to restore a backup file created using that version.
Steps to restore a backup company file:
- Firstly visit the QuickBooks File menu and then hit Open or Restore Company.
- The next step is to select Open or Restore a Backup Copy and hit Next.
- Now opt for the Local Backup and Next options respectively.
- And then opt for the location of the backup file from the drop-down.
- After that select the backup file.
- Followed by clicking Open and then hitting Next.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to select the location where the user wants to restore the file from the save in drop-down.
- Now, type a new file name in the file name field and then save as type field should will populate QuickBooks files (*.QBW).
- Coming towards the end, hit Save and respond to all the messages that pop up appropriately before the restoration starts.
- And the final step is to click Save and then carefully read and respond to any messages that appear before restoration begins.
If the user still faces error code 6150, -1006, then it is recommended to move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Recover lost data with QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery
- If you have QuickBooks Desktop with Auto Data Recovery (ADR), then you may be able to able to recover almost all of your data if data loss or corruption happens.
- If you have not ADR then take help from our QuickBooks data recovery support team.
Limitations of QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery
Even though you perform the steps to use the QuickBooks auto data recovery tool. Note that there are certain limitations for the same.
- Note that QuickBooks auto data recovery is not compatible with QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise.
- Moreover, the tool is not available for the accountant version of QuickBooks.
- The file size should not exceed 1.5 GB.
- It requires an updated version of the software.
Solution 3: Create QuickBooks Desktop Company File
A QuickBooks Desktop company file holds financial records of a company. If you’re new to QuickBooks, you should start with creating a company file. In case you already have a company file, you can upgrade the file or check if it is the appropriate time to begin with a new company file to replace your old file.
- First of all, open QuickBooks Desktop.
- And then visit the “No Company Open” window and select Create a new company.
- Choose Express Start or Detailed Start.
- Type in all the necessary details in QuickBooks Setup window.
(Select Help me choose to read the description for every business type and the preset chart of accounts that QuickBooks will craft for you per company.)
- Choose Create Company.
- Once your company file is created, start creating your customers, chart of accounts and services or do that later by selecting Start Working.
- Provide information on the Easy Step Interview screen and select Next.
- Select your Industry and hit Next.
- Select your type of business entity and select Next.
- Set your fiscal year’s first month and select Next.
- Choose your QuickBooks administrator password and select Next.
- Choose the location where you wish to store your company file and select Save.
- Hit next to customize your QuickBooks or select Leave (you can do that later).
Solution 4: Checking for CryptoWall
In certain cases, the CryptoWall virus and other infected software can cause Error -6150, -1006 and also prevent the user from opening QuickBooks accounting software. The user can simply follow the steps listed below, in order to get rid of this kind of issue.
- First of all, the user is supposed to open the Windows Start menu.
- And after that, type File Explorer in the search bar. Along with that, the user needs to open the File Explorer.
- The next step in this process is to look for and open QuickBooks folder that could be located on the C: drive.
- After that, the user needs to look for the files that have decrypt or instructions. (.txt or .html)
Solution 5: Use the QuickBooks file doctor tool
QuickBooks file doctor tool is designed in a way to eliminate issues related to the company file. You can perform the steps below to access this tool in QuickBooks.
Solution 6: Eliminate any virus from the PC
- Start with launching the QuickBooks file doctor
- Wait till the screen shows any pop-up of No company open.
- Navigate to the File and Utilities tab.
- Choose Repair file option and Network problems option respectively.
- Furthermore, click on the OK tab when the dialog box appears.
- The screen will display a message requesting for admin rights. You need to click on yes tab
- This will also show a wrench icon to open the file doctor application, where you are supposed to click on continue tab.
- Once done with that, make sure to enter the credentials and log into the file.
- This will start the repairing process.
- Go for the Diagnosis file only from the option of Advanced settings.
- Hit the Next tab.
- Perform the onscreen prompts to end the process.
- You need to access the system antivirus under this process.
- Later on, update the program if not updated already.
- Once done with that, the antivirus will Activate and then you will have to Scan the system.
- Work on fixing the viruses or malware on the system.
Solution 7: Open a sample company file installed
- You can start this process by opening the QuickBooks without the company file.
- Followed by selecting the open sample file option.
- You are then required to select any company file.
- Moreover, click on the ok tab.
- Hit the yes tab when asked to update the sample file.
Solution 8: Update the QuickBooks software to the latest version
You can experience this issue due to outdated software. Thus, it is suggested to update the software to the latest version. The steps to be performed are:
- Here, you are required to head to the help menu and click on the update QuickBooks option.
- Followed by selecting the updates to download.
- Move to the get updates option.
- Followed by exiting QuickBooks when the process ends.
You may also read: How to Update QuickBooks Desktop 2023 Latest and Release date?
In case the user is unable to detect any of the files that fits the description, then in that case the system is completely fine. This brings us to the end of the article, and we hope that this article assists you in fixing QuickBooks Error Code 6150, -1006. In case the issue persists even after following all the given steps or you have any other QB related issue, then you can simply contact our 24×7 QuickBooks support team at +1-800-360-4183 We will be please to help you.
Few Other -6000 Series Error Messages:
|QuickBooks Error -6000, -80 Code||Error -6000, -77 in QuickBooks|
|Fix QuickBooks Error Code -6000||QuickBooks Error -6000, -301|
|QuickBooks Error -6000, -83 Code||QuickBooks Error 6000, -82 or 6000, -106|
|QuickBooks Error 6000 304|
FAQs Related to QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006
You can face QuickBooks error 6150 and 1006 in case the QBW or the company file gets damage. This would create a portable backup file. And you can face issues when accessing a portable file without opening the software.
What is error code 6150 1004?
The Error code 6150 1004 is seen with a warning message that states “an error occurred when QuickBooks tried to create, open or use the company file”. In case the problem persists, feel free to reach out to our technical team.
QuickBooks desktop offers a feature i.e., Auto Data Recovery, which can be helpful in case of data loss or corruption. This feature allows you to recover all or nearly all the data.
To repair a backup file in QuickBooks, you need to head to the file menu and further hover over utilities tab and choose rebuild data. On QuickBooks information window, choose ok tab. Perform onscreen steps to save a backup and let the tool fix the file for you.
See some other helpful articles: