Find out the best ways to eliminate QuickBooks error code 6123
QuickBooks is an innovative accounting software made by Intuit and used and by millions of small and mid-sized businesses around the world. It undoubtedly makes the task of managing a business incredibly simple. Though, like any other software in the world, QuickBooks too receives errors and glitches at times.
According to the Intuit, the Error code 6123,0 “Connection to the QuickBooks company file has been lost” generally occurs in multi-user environments. However, some messages can be fixed by simply following the instructions offered by the software, some may be intricate and unintelligible. There might be multiple reasons for this error to occur.
When establishing or when the use of a QuickBooks company report over a network, you see one or more of the following errors:
- QuickBooks Error 6123, 0.
- Connection to the QuickBooks company file has been lost.
The image as shown below is similar which appears on your desktop.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Install Error Code 1722?
What Causes QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0?
QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0 is generally caused by one of following reason
- The main computer has a corrupt network connection.
- Firewall network is blocking a port needed to communicate with the server hosting the company file.
- Damaged QBW files.
- Corrupt QuickBooks data or program files.
- Your system has multiple QuickBooks database services are running.
- Same company file is open in a new version of QuickBooks.
- You are restoring a backup from a flash drive or from a removable storage device.
- Damaged Window user.
Methods to eliminate the error code 6123, 0 in QuickBooks Desktop
The steps involved in fixing QuickBooks error code 6123, 0 differ depending upon the condition when such an error is experienced. So, make sure to perform the steps according to the situation.
Condition 1: If the error 6123 is experienced while restoring a backup (.qbb) on a new system
Just in case you experience this issue while restoring a previously backed up company file, then the processes stated below might be of some assistance to you.
Process 1: Making a portable company file (.qbm) to restore your company file
- The very first step is to open the QuickBooks desktop on the same system which was used to create the backup company file.
- Now, open the original company file.
- The user is now supposed to create a portable file of the company file.
- And then, open the QuickBooks desktop on the new system.
- The last step here is to restore backup company file using the portable copy and not the backup file
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000? (When Opening a Company File)
Process 2: Make use of the QuickBooks auto data recovery (ADR)
Often auto data recovery tool can help the user in eliminating errors like this. The user can restore the adr copy of the file and check if it works or not. You can simply perform the steps to use the QuickBooks auto data recovery tool and try eliminating the error permanently.
Condition 2: Manually configure the multi-user setup
Another condition can be when you are using a multi-user in QuickBooks and experiencing the issue. In such scenario, you can simply configure its settings using the steps listed below:
Step 1: Change the name of the .ND and .TLG files
At times, changing the name of the network and transaction log file can fix the issue up to a certain extent. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Start the process by opening the folder that harbors the company file.
- Now, choose the .ND file of the company file.
- Right-click on .ND file and then click on the Rename option.
- Later on, add .old at the end of the file name.
- Repeat the same process for .TLG file.
- Also, open the QuickBooks desktop company file through QuickBooks.
- The user will then have to re-scan the company file using the QuickBooks database server manager.
It is now time to stop the database server process using the steps below for different windows versions:
For Windows 10 & 8
- Start the process by pressing windows key and then enter in Task manager.
- The next step is to click on the Task manager.
- Followed by clicking on More details.
- The user will now have to choose the Details tab.
- And further locate the QBDBMgrN.exe.
- Right click the same.
- Choose End task.
- You are now required to repeat the same steps until all the instances of QBDBMgrN.exe have been stopped.
- And lastly, close the Task manager.
For Windows 7
- Start with pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys.
- Also, go for the option to open the Task manager.
- And then, click on the Image name column heading from the Processes tab.
- Furthermore, right-click the QBDBMgrN.exe and click on End task.
- Perform the same steps to stop all instances of QBDBMgrN.exe.
- Lastly, close the Task manager.
You may also read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code Skipped 111?
Step 2: Set up proper folder permissions
At times improper folder permissions can trigger such an error. Moreover, the folder containing the QuickBooks desktop company file is present on the host system. Thus, make sure to provide Full Control the required folder permissions.
Step 3: Move the company file to a different location
You can verify whether the issue is with the file path, by moving the file to a different location, then opening it from that location to check if it works.
Step 4: Check Firewall & Antivirus Ports
Step 5: Toggle Hosting settings in QuickBooks
- Under this step, you first have to open the company file.
- Later on, select the File
- Now, choose the option to Switch to single-user mode.
- Go for the File > Utilities and also select Stop hosting multi-user access.
- Also, select File > Utilities > Choose host multi-user access.
- To end the process select the File and go for Switch to multi-user mode.
Condition 3: Error occurs when opening or upgrading your company file
The user can perform the below procedures, in case the error appears when opening or upgrading the company file.
Process 1: Change the name of the company file or remove any special characters from the name.
- Under this process, one needs to understand that the company file name shouldn’t exceed the allowed 30 characters.
- Also, ensure that it does not contain any special type of character or space in the file name.
You may also see: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code C=343?
Process 2: Use QuickBooks tool hub program to fix this error
If you experience this issue when opening the company file, then it is recommended to use the QuickBooks tool Hub. The steps to set up and use the tool are given as follows:
Step 1: Download and Run QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Start the process by closing the QuickBooks accounting software.
- Later on, download the QuickBooks tools hub file.
- Save the file somewhere you can easily find it out.
- Perform the on-screen prompts to Install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Furthermore, double-click the icon on the Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
- Note that if you are unable to spot the icon, then search Windows for QuickBooks Tool hub and then choose the program.
Step 2: Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
The QuickBooks file doctor tool can help you in automatic scanning, diagnosis, and rectification of the issues. The user can try performing the below steps to use the file doctor tool from tool hub.
- The first step is to choose the Company file issues option in the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- And then, click on the option to Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- After the File doctor tool opens up, choose the Company file from the drop down list.
- If you are unable to find it, then make sure to click on browse option to search the system for the file i.e. [your company name].qbw.
- The next step is to choose the option to check your file only and then hit continue to diagnose the file.
- After that enter the QuickBooks admin password, followed by hitting continue.
- The QuickBooks file doctor tool will begin with the repairing process on its own, which might take some time.
- Lastly, move to the company file from the list and then click on the Open QuickBooks option.
- Note that if the file can be opened up without any issue, then the error is resolved. But make sure to backup the company file, after you have opened it up.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code H505?
Step 3: Run Quick Fix my program from tool hub program
The user can also make use of the quick fix my program tool to fix the issue successfully. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The first step is to click on the Programs Problems option in the Tool Hub.
- And then choose the Quick Fix my Program tab.
- This might take a minute to run. In case you are having multiple versions of QuickBooks installed on the system, then it might take more than a minute to open up.
- Open QuickBooks and then verify the issue is fixed.
Procedure 3: Change the name of the .ND and .TLG file
Sometimes, simply changing the name of the nd and tlg files can help in getting rid of the issue from its root cause.
- Star the process by opening the folder that contains the company file.
- Now, go for the corresponding .ND file.
- Once done with that right-click on the Company file and then hit on Rename option.
- The user is then required to rename the .ND file to .ND.OLD
- And further choose the .TLG file and rename it in the same way as you renamed the Network (.ND) file.
- Also, change the name to .TLG.OLD.
- Ensure to open the QuickBooks company file.
- Furthermore, set proper folder permissions.
- As may be the folder settings require to be set to full access. It depends on the Windows settings and Windows user login.
Procedure 4: Make a new Window User
- Under this process, one needs to first open control panel and then click on create new user option in the user icon
- After that, choose the Administrator for user type.
- Log out of the existing.
- The next step is to reboot the system, and then log in using the New user credentials.
- Head to the company file to the desktop.
- End the process by opening QuickBooks and accessing the company file.
Procedure 5: Restart your system in Safe Mode
Here the user is required to restart and use the system in safe mode. This would stop the third party application to restrict the software from running. The user can also temporarily disable the security program in safe mode. And then open the software and try opening the company file in safe mode. This would eliminate the issue to a certain extent.
Procedure 6: Disable the system security programs
If the user is having an antivirus installed on the system, then it is important to consider turning it off before opening QuickBooks again and accessing the company file. However, if the user is using McAfee security software, then it can also trigger such an error. In such scenarios, temporarily disabling the security software is recommended.
Procedure 7: Re-installation of QuickBooks application
- Here, the user needs to first click on the Windows start button and from there, visit the Control panel.
- After that uninstall the current QuickBooks from the Control panel tab.
- Also, download the QuickBooks variant that you wish to utilize on the system or use the QuickBooks installation CD.
- The next step is to install QuickBooks in Normal mode.
- After that, enter the product ID and license number there.
- QuickBooks will be registered and activated to use.
- The last step is to try opening the company file.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Crash Com Error?
Procedure 8: Move company file to a different location
- This process requires the user to move to the Folder where the company files are located.
- One can use the File Explorer for that, or manually head to the QuickBooks folder in the C drive
- And then, look for the company file folder therein.
- Right-click on the Company file and choose the option to Copy the file.
- The next step is to verify that you copy the right company file with the extension .QBW
- The user is also required to copy the file to the desktop.
- Right-click on the Blank space, and then choose New and folder options, respectively.
- Also, open that new folder and then click on the option to Paste the file there.
- Open the QuickBooks program and access the company file from the new location.
Procedure 9: Restore the company file
If none of the above methods helped in fixing such an error, try performing the steps involved in restoring the company file.
We hope that this article will assist you with everything you should know about QuickBooks Error Code -6123, 0. You can try the solutions mentioned on this page and fix the error if it pops up on your screen.
If you still have any trouble, or you face any other QuickBooks related issue, you can contact our 24*7 QuickBooks error support number @ +1-844-405-0907, and our QuickBooks support Team will be glad to offer you quick and precise solutions.
See more helpful articles to read:
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 3371: Status Code 11118?
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189 and 816?
Fix QuickBooks Update Error 1603 [Installation or Updating HTML Error]