If you are a QuickBooks user, then backing up the data or the company file is one of the best features offered by this software. This feature not only helps in case of data loss, but also ensures safety of the data from any kind of accidental data loss. However, there can be situations when QuickBooks is unable to backup the company file error, which means that the QuickBooks software is unable to create the backup of the crucial data. In case your company file is unable to back up the data, you might not be able to recover it in emergency cases.
Well, need not panic, as we have come up with this article to assist you in resolving this issue and also finding out the hidden reasons behind such an error. In case you need immediate help or technical support, you can dial our toll-free number +1-800-360-4183 to save your time and efforts, and we will ensure that you are provided with the best possible care and solutions.
What is QuickBooks unable to backup company file error?
QuickBooks may fail to back up the company file, if the backup path is unavailable or faulty. There can be various other situations when you can experience QuickBooks company file fail to create backup error. This error usually appears on the screen with a warning message that states: QuickBooks was unable to back up your company file. QuickBooks could not create a disk image. QuickBooks could not copy the company file. Regular backups are a must in QuickBooks to avoid any sort of data issues, especially when the data is lost. However, when QuickBooks fails to create a backup file, it can create issues for the user and must be dealt with immediately.
Do you know what is back-up of company file?
A few of the non-technical QuickBooks users might not be well aware of the fact what actually is backing up of QuickBooks company file. Basically, a backup is the data that the user needs to re-create the company file. Backing up the company file rescue the users in case of accidental data loss. It is always recommended to backup the company file on a regular basis in order to avoid any kind of issues later on. At the time of backing up the data or the company file, QuickBooks users might encounter certain errors, which include error messages:
- Backup failed
- QuickBooks unable to backup company file
Most Common errors you may see
- -6000 series errors
- QuickBooks error -6189, -82
- Unrecoverable error messages
- C messages like Error C=272 or Error C=343
- 3371 error- QuickBooks installation is damaged
- QuickBooks Error -6190, -816
- And many others…
What causes backup failed error in QuickBooks?
You can face backup failed error in QuickBooks due to the following reasons:
- The basic cause of the error is the unobtainability of the storage device that generally stores the backup file.
- Any kind of damage to the company file might also lead to such an error.
- Another reason can be setting up a wrong backup path leading QuickBooks to freeze.
- In case the company file name is having more than 65 characters.
- One more reason behind such error can be when the user is trying to take backup on an external hard disk.
- If the company file is more than 3GB in size, then such error can also be encountered.
It should be noted that, since the real culprit behind the QuickBooks failure to backup error might not be identified instantly, identifying the most appropriate solution might be difficult at first for the QuickBooks users and this might end up in hit and trial method. However, seeking expert assistance by QuickBooks enterprise support team in such cases is recommended, as they have an in-depth knowledge and experience to tackle such errors in one go.
You may also like: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 61686?
How to fix QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File Error?
Talking about the methods to get rid of such error, the QuickBooks users have two to three options. We will be discussing each of the methods along with the steps to be followed in each. So, without wasting much time, let us have a look:
Method #1 Setting up QuickBooks Desktop to use the new company file name
- To begin with the method, the very first step is to click on ‘Open or Restore‘ an existing company from the QuickBooks ‘File menu‘.
- After that, the user is required to choose ‘Open a company file‘, followed by clicking on ‘Next‘.
- The last step is to select the ‘New company file name‘ and tap on ‘Open‘.
Note: Remember that your QuickBooks desktop is up to date and have the latest version on t.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 31600?
Method #2 Backup of company file into an external drive or flash drive
In case the first method didn’t help you much, try backing up the data to an external drive using the steps below. However, you need to first switch to multi user mode.
- The very first step is to visit the ‘File‘ menu and then choose ‘Save Copy or Backup‘ option.
- After that choose the ‘Backup copy‘ and then tap on ‘Next‘.
- Once done with that, the user is required to select ‘Local Backup‘, followed by selecting ‘Next‘.
- Moving ahead, the user should select ‘Save it now‘, when asked, and then click on ‘Next‘.
- After that browse to a location on the local drive and then tap on the ‘save button‘.
- Minimize the QuickBooks Desktop and head to the next step.
- Now, locate the backup file on the local drive.
- Then, right-click on the file, followed by selecting the ‘copy‘ option.
- Once done with that, open a ‘Windows Explorer‘ window.
- After that, double-click the drive letter that corresponds to the external drive or flash drive to open the same.
- Now, right-click on ‘File‘ and then select the ‘Paste‘ option and you are good to go.
Method #3 Rename the QuickBooks Desktop Company file
Before making any kind of changes to your company file, the user is required to take a backup of the same in order to avoid any mess. Also, if the user is using Loan Manager, then he/she is required to recreate the loan manager information once the company file is renamed.
- The first step is to ‘launch the Desktop‘ and then open the company file.
- Now, the next step is to ‘Press F2 or Ctrl+1‘ which will open the ‘Product Information‘ Window.
- Do not forget to note the location of the company file listed in the ‘File information field‘
- Now, navigate to the location of the company file. This step might vary with the Windows version, just like:
Windows 10,8.1 and 8: The users of Windows 10, 8.1, and 8 are required to right click the ‘Windows start‘ button and then select the ‘File Explorer’.
Windows 7 and Vista: Whereas, other users are required to right click the ‘Windows start’ button and then select the ‘open windows explorer‘ option.
- The next step is to right-click the file and the choose the ‘Rename‘ option
- Once done with that, the user is required to type the new company file name and then hit ‘Enter‘. If the Windows prompts the user to confirm the action and then tap on ‘Yes‘.
Method #4 Reset the password
Just in case you come across a warning message that states: Your data has not been restored if you failed to enter the correct admin password, then you can perform the set of steps listed below related to the automated password reset tool.
- The very first step is to download the automated password tool for QuickBooks desktop.
- Once done with that, use this for resetting the QuickBooks admin password in any version of QuickBooks desktop for windows
- Now, select the version of QuickBooks desktop
- After that enter in QuickBooks license number and business info used when registering QuickBooks
- The next step is to click on next tab
- The user is then required to accept the license agreement
- Also, run the tool and enter the token number received on mail
- Choose the QuickBooks version from QuickBooks desktop products drop down
- Select browse for company file
- Also, choose the company file you wish to reset the password for
- The next step is to enter correct company file admin user name
- Lastly, enter the new password and confirm password and choose reset
Method #5 Run Verify and Rebuild Utility Tool
QuickBooks allows its users to make use of the verify and rebuild utility to eliminate any sort of data issues. You can try to fix the company file related issues using the steps below.
- At first manually repair the QuickBooks file menu by moving to the utilities tab and selecting the rebuild data.
- You now have to visit QuickBooks file menu and also move to the utilities tab and verify data tab.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 80040408?
Method #6 Avoid Overwriting an Existing file
- Under this process, save the file in a location that can be accessed easily.
- If the file name resembles the other file name, then a message would appear stating: The file name exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?
- The last step is to click on No and change the file name.
The backing up of the company file is an unavoidable process. Therefore, if you face any kind of problem while backing up the data or the company file, do not ignore it and immediately look for professional assistance. You can dial our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-360-4183, and talk to our QuickBooks error support executives regarding QuickBooks associated errors.
FAQs Related to QuickBooks Backup Issues
You can try repairing the company file using the rebuild data tool to fix QuickBooks unable to backup company file error.
1. At first, you need to move to the file menu.
2. After that move to the utilities tab and further choose rebuild data.
3. The next step is to let the tool repair your file
4. After that, hit ok tab.
5. Also, head to the file menu and let the tool check for data issues.
You can backup the company file manually using the steps below:
1. From the file menu, choose backup.
2. Now, click on the backup company file tab.
3. Also, click on the browse tab to change the filename and indicate the backup location.
4. You now have to click on save tab.
5. Click on ok tab.
You can try uploading a company file to QuickBooks using the steps below:
1. Sign in as admin to the company file you need to import.
2. After that, move to the company and choose export company file to QuickBooks online.
3. Once done with that, choose start your export.
4. And also sign in as admin to QuickBooks online company.
You can try to update your company file using the steps below:
1. Ensure all users sign out of the company file.
2. Open the new version of QuickBooks
3. Move to file and choose open or restore company
4. The next step is to find your company file
5. And sign in to the company file as admin user.
6. Choose update now.
You might also like: