Company file is the core QuickBooks element, which when doesn’t work properly can create a nuisance. At times, due to certain reasons, QuickBooks might show an error that states: cannot open QuickBooks company file. When a user is unable to open the company file in QuickBooks, it restricts him/her from carrying out any activity in QuickBooks. Thus, such an error can be extremely devastating for QuickBooks users. To help you tackle such situation, here we are with this article sharing the complete details about how you can eliminate cannot open QuickBooks company file error successfully.
To learn further, make sure to stick around this piece of writing. Or you can further get in touch with our technical support team at +1-800-360-4183, and we will help you get through this company file issue and answer all your queries related to QuickBooks.
Alert!! Always backup your company file to avoid any data loss. Here is how you can do it: Backup your QuickBooks company file – Easy Steps
What is Cannot Open QuickBooks Company File Error?
When you try to open company file in QuickBooks, it might show up an error with a warning message “QuickBooks can’t find company file. If you moved your QuickBooks company file recently, you’ll point QuickBooks to the location. You can do this by searching for your company file using ‘Find‘ in the start menu.” This error can often be experienced when the company file gets damaged or if QuickBooks stops working for some reason. There can be a couple of factors causing this issue, which we will be explaining later in this segment.
You can come across the following error message on the screen:
|QuickBooks can’t find your company file. If you moved your QuickBooks company file recently, you’ll point QuickBooks to the location. You can do this by searching for your company file using ‘Find‘ in the start menu.
Error Code: QuickBooks Company file not found
You may also like: Resolve QuickBooks error code 9997
What causes qbw.lck can’t be found error in QuickBooks?
This issue can affect the business operations of any organization, but it can be easily solved. Some of the common reasons behind not being able to open QuickBooks company file or QuickBooks can’t find company file error are listed below.
- When the company file was used for the last time it was damaged.
- Due to corrupt hard drive file storage, the company file is damaged
- Problems with the location and extension of the file.
- A conflicting *QBW.tlg.file
- You might use an older version of QuickBooks software to open the files.
- There might be some issues with reports in your file.
- You may face issues such as QuickBooks error 3371, Error H505, -6000 series errors, unrecoverable error, login company file failed error, and C=XXX error messages.
Important steps before you start troubleshooting
- Before troubleshooting the company file, ensure the concern is related to the company file as opposed to the program itself. Make certain that QuickBooks is updated to the latest release version.
- Now Press and also hold the Ctrl key while double-clicking the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
Keep in mind: Do hold the Ctrl key up until you have the No Company Open window in QuickBooks.
If the program fails to open while holding the Ctrl key, see QuickBooks Desktop does not begin for steps to resolve, as the following will certainly not aid.
- If the program does open up, proceed below.
- Verify that only one computer is hosting your company file. Turn off hosting in all computer systems other than the web server.
- From the QuickBooks File menu, select Utilities.
- Click Stop hosting multi-user access.
Important Note: If you see anything other than Stop hosting multi-user access, it suggests hosting is currently switched off on that computer.
- Once you confirm that hosting is disabled, proceed below.
- Make sure that your QuickBooks Desktop Program is not damaged.
- Open a sample company file and if you get an error, continue fixing QuickBooks desktop installation.
- To resolve your problem, let’s continue with the below given technical steps.
You may also read: What is the Best Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error QBW32.exe?
Solutions to fix Cannot open QuickBooks Company file
Now you know what actually causes QuickBooks company file not opening error or QuickBooks cant find company file error, it is time to perform the necessary steps to fix it.
Solution 1: Rename TLG and ND Files
- Open the company file from the place it has been saved.
- Now right-click on the transaction log file and change its name to OLD.qbw.TLG. This file has the same name as that of the company file with a TLG file extension.
- After this open the company file and automatically QuickBooks will create a .TLG and ND files.
Solution 2: Open the file directly from QuickBooks
Accessing the file from QuickBooks can help you eliminate the error in certain cases. Thus, we suggest you to do so.
Step 1: Open company file or an accountants copy
- From the file menu, opt for open or restore company
- Now, choose open a company file.
- Also, click on next tab.
- You will then have to click on the company file and further choose open option.
Step 2: Restore backup of the .qbb file extension
- You need to opt for Open or restore company files in the file menu.
- Further, click on restore a backup file and choose the next tab.
- You need to choose local backup.
- Select the company file and click on the next tab.
- Also, choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
Step 3: Restore the Accountants copy transfer file
- Initially, you need to click on Open or restore company from the file menu.
- Once done with that, choose convert an accountant’s copy transfer file and also click on next tab.
- The next step is to hit next on the if what the accountants copy can and can’t do window.
- You now have to click on the transfer file and open it.
- Toward the end, you need to select the location where the file will be saved and click on the save tab.
Solution 3: Check properties and file extension
- The first thing to do is open the folder where the company file is saved.
- Then right-click on the company file and then choose the properties.
- Ensure that the type of file is a company file and its size is at least 7 MB.
- After this, select Advance and ensure that all the boxes for compress and Encrypt attributed are unchecked.
- Finally, select OK.
Solution 4: Copy the file to a new location
- The first thing to do is create a new folder in ‘C’ Drive.
- Then open the folder where the company file is stored.
- Now Press and hold Ctrl Key and then choose the company file along with the corresponding TLG of your company file.
- After this right-click and then choose copy.
- Now open the newly created folder right-click and choose the paste option.
Solution 5: Troubleshoot QuickBooks installation
- Run the reboot.bat file.
- Then fix the QuickBooks Installation
- After this reinstall it using a clean install.
Solution 6: Verify Network Connectivity
If the above steps didn’t help much, try performing this procedure to verify the network connectivity. You need to first find the name of the server system. And continue with the steps below:
- Press the Windows + R tab.
- Now, you need to open the Run dialog box.
- Heading forward, enter in CMD and hit the enter tab.
- Further, type ipconfig/all and click on the enter tab.
- Note down the server names.
- And further enter ping and the name of the server in the next window.
- You now have to click on the enter tab.
- And you will see a reply for each packet.
- In case you get any packet loss, then it indicates that there are some issues with the network connection.
Read it also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code H505?
Solution 7: Find the QuickBooks company file
- You can use the windows feature to look for the file type.
- Further, click on the Windows start tab.
- Also, enter the extension of the company file along with the asterisk sign in the search programs and files search box.
- *.qbw (working files)
- *.qbb (backup files)
- *.qba (Accountants copy files)
- *.qbx (Accountants transfer files)
- *.qby (Accountant changes files)
- Once you have found the file, you need to right-click the file and further choose the open file location tab.
- Also, open the file from the right location to remove the issue.
Solution 8: Update QuickBooks and check your file type
- You need to first move to the help tab within QuickBooks, in order to find the latest updates for QuickBooks.
- Or can acquire the downloaded file from Intuit.
- Once the update ends, check the file extension. It should only have the .qbw extension. Extensions like QBB, QBM, etc, should be avoided.
- The file should have been compressed. Continue with the below steps:
- You need to first right-click the QB company file.
- Further, move to properties and also the advanced tab.
- Now, highlight the box next to clear the compress and encrypt.
- Also, click on OK to conclude.
Solution 9: Turn off hosting on your workstations
In case you host your company file on a network, then you simply need to turn off host multi-user access on your workstations. Only the server computer should host the file.
- At first, you should open QuickBooks on one of your workstations.
- Once done with that, avoid opening the company file.
- Instead, move to the file menu and then select the utilities tab.
- In case you see host multi-user access, then avoid selecting it.
- Further, move on to the next workstation. This one isn’t the problem.
- However, in case you see stop hosting multi-user access, then go for it.
- And continue with the steps on all workstations
Once you have checked your workstations, you can head to the server system. This is the computer that hosts the company files. Here you need to carry out the steps below:
- At first, open QuickBooks on the server computer.
- Also, open the file and further utilities tab.
- In case the host multi-user access is an option, go for it.
- Switch the multi-user setting off and on.
- At first, you need to move to the file, utilities tab, and further choose stop hosting multi-user access.
- Now, navigate to the file and utilities, also choose host multi-user access.
- Try opening the company file and check if the issue continues.
Solution 10: Don’t save the desktop when you close QuickBooks
QuickBooks usually re-open any windows left open when you close your company file. In case you have a large report or several windows set to open on their own, then QuickBooks might freeze when starting up. To open the company file without saved windows, you can continue with the steps below:
- You need to first open QuickBooks desktop.
- After that, in the no company open, choose your company file.
- Now, press and hold the Alt key and select open.
- Do not let go ALt until the file opens. In case QuickBooks asks you to sign in, then release ALT and enter your password.
- Also, press and hold ALT again and click on the OK tab.
In case the company opens successfully, then turn off the save the desktop when closing preference.
- You need to head to the edit tab and select preferences.
- Further, go for the desktop view.
- Also, select Don’t Save the Desktop and hit the OK tab.
- Close and open QuickBooks and try opening the company file.
I hope the above-given troubleshooting steps have helped you in fixing QuickBooks cannot open company file. If you are still encountering the same issue or facing any other type of concern associated with QuickBooks, then you can get help from our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team. Dial +1-800-360-4183 and speak with a live expert today to your all your problems…!
Frequently Asked Questions!
QuickBooks company file is the core file of the software that saves financial information and other crucial information. The default file location is C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files. As the company file contains crucial data, it is essential to take a timely backup of the file.
Installing the QuickBooks desktop software involves a certain set of steps. One can easily install the software from the official Intuit website. However, it should be noted that to access the software one might need a product key and license number.
The nd and tlg files are a part of the QuickBooks file. .Nd and .tlg stand for the network data file and transaction log file respectively and they are configuration files that allow QuickBooks to access a company file in a network or multi-user environment.
What is the QuickBooks file doctor tool?
Intuit offers a couple of tools to eliminate errors in QuickBooks, one such tool is the QuickBooks file doctor tool. It is designed to eliminate issues related to the company file and other related files. One can easily access this tool from the QuickBooks tool hub.
More helpful articles