All that you need to know about Install Multiple QuickBooks Desktop Versions in One Computer.
QuickBooks, the avant-garde accounting and payroll software has benefited small and medium businesses all over the world. This software comes with powerful features and also provides various facilities like you can run and install multiple versions of the QuickBooks Desktop and edition of QuickBooks in the same desktop. That means different versions of the application can be opened at the same time while different editions should be opened one at a time. In this article we have explained the procedure about how can a user Install Multiple QuickBooks Desktop Versions on One Computer.
To learn further about installing multiple versions in one computer, make sure to stick around till the end. Just in case you require our assistance at any point in time, reach out to us at +1-800-360-4183, and our team professionals will ensure that all your doubts are cleared.
Read More: How to Upgrade QuickBooks Software?
- Edition- An edition is basically a set of features that are included in a product. Example: Pro, Premier and Enterprise.
- Region – A region basically refers to a specific location such as United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Version- A version is numeric symbolization of a product when it is released. Examples: QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0, QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Flavor: A flavor denotes industry specific set of sub features of any product. For example: Non-Profit, Retail, Contractor.
Note the below mentioned points before you install multiple product installations
- In the same computer multiple version of QuickBooks can reside.
- Only one flavour can be installed for per Premier or Enterprise version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Do note that you can take QuickBooks Desktop Edition as a flavour of premier desktop. And also you can adjust the Accountant edition with any other flavour of Pro or Premier Desktop.
- The best thing is that if you are using multiple versions like QB Desktop 2017 and 2018 version can be used at the same time. In case, you are using QuickBooks premier 2018 then you require to open QB Premier 2017. So that you do not need to close Premier 2018 prior to opening Premier 2017.
- When it comes to edition only one QuickBooks edition like that of QB Premier and Enterprise can be used at one time. So, when you have to work on QuickBooks Premier 2018 and get the need to open QuickBooks Enterprise 18.0, then QuickBooks Premier should be closed before opening QB.
- Ensure that you do not install multiple regions of QuickBooks Desktop in the same computer.
- It is suggested that you make use of a web hosting service or virtual system to create an environment for each of the part of QuickBooks Desktop that you plan to run as compared to your own region.
- The data files are absolutely impossible to share between QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and other QuickBooks Desktop versions or between different year versions.
- In case you use Premier normally and if you want to try Desktop Enterprise, opening the premier data file in the Desktop Enterprise can affect irreversibly. So, you should not use the premier.
- In case, you want to try out some other edition then you have to first open a file sample in the edition you want to use instead of opening the company file.
- If you wish to open QuickBooks Premier 2017 data file in the QB Premier 2018, then QuickBooks updates that file so that it cannot be used in the Premier 2017.
- Note that steps to install the manual update are always different. So, if you wish to update QuickBooks through the manual update you will be asked to choose the edition for an update especially when more than one edition installed.
You may also like: How to Setup QuickBooks Enterprise –Technical Support & Error Handling?
Steps to Install Multiple Versions of QuickBooks Desktop in One Computer
First install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on one computer by using various installation folders.
- To kick start the process, you need to download the version or edition of QuickBooks.
- Further, save the file at a convenient location like the windows desktop
- You now have to open the download QuickBooks.exe file by double clicking on it.
- This will start the install process
- You are then required to follow the onscreen instructions, and when it comes to installation type, make sure to go for custom and network options. It is often suggested to skip the express start.
- Ensure that you go for Custom or Network options. Just in case you plan to operate QuickBooks only on the system, without sharing the files over the network, you are suggested to opt for I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this system. In case you are setting up a multi user network, then choose either I’ll be using….. And or I will NOT be using depending on the setup.
- After installing multiple versions or editions, QuickBooks asks if you wish to replace what’s currently on the system. It is suggested to avoid replacing anything unless you wish to replace something.
- To avoid overwriting the data, you are suggested to create unique install folders for each version and editio.
- When you get to update or change the installation location window, then make sure to choose install location.
- Select the Browse and right click on the Windows and further create a new folder.
- Avoid opting for the Existing QuickBooks folder or any folders that have QuickBooks info.
Note: It is suggested to put the version and edition in the folder name.
- It is recommended to follow the rest of the onscreen prompts to finish the install process.
Make sure to repeat the steps for each version and edition of QuickBooks to be installed. You are further required to ensure to install them in their own unique folder.
Update QuickBooks desktop to the latest version
After you install QuickBooks desktop, it is recommended to g for updates to get the latest release. The process involved in updating the software is as follows:
- One needs to first access the QuickBooks software and then move to the help menu
- Within the help menu, you need to choose update QuickBooks desktop and perform the onscreen steps
- You can further schedule automatic updates, so you do have to do that manually
Note that if you have multiple editions for the same version, then QuickBooks desktop might not run updates automatically. To get the most recent updates, updating each version manually is highly suggested.
I hope you find this article helpful. If these quick steps does not work for you to install multiple QuickBooks versions in one computer. You can seek assistance from our QuickBooks help and support team.
Our team is highly experienced and knowledgeable to handle. Our Team fix all type of QuickBooks related issues in very short time of period. We are reachable at our helpline number +1-800-360-4183.
Frequently Asked Questions
Well, it is not possible to run multiple versions of QuickBooks at the same time on same computer. You need to open each version separately.
No, you cannot use the same license and product key for multiple versions, you would require a separate license and product key for each version. Make sure to get a valid license for each version you wish to install.
Well, it is possible to access company files across different versions of QuickBooks desktop. However, make sure to note that the company file once opened and converted to a newer version, it might not be compatible with older versions.
Read these articles also: