QuickBooks error code 557 isn’t a common error. Thus, it might get a little confusing for QuickBooks users to tackle through it. This error generally occurs when downloading payroll updates after upgrading to a new version of QuickBooks. This error usually occurs due to incorrect syntax or commands that might be seen due to low quota within the disk or lack of area.
|Error Code:||Error 557|
|Error Name:||QuickBooks error 557|
|Description:||Error 557: QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience|
|Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 8, 7|
Getting rid of this error manually gets quite tiresome, one has to be extra careful else there is a risk of the loss of the information and data. Maintaining a correct and exact record of the data and other things is quite difficult but this is a legal requirement and has to be done. So, let’s start with understanding the error and then moving ahead to resolve it. However, if you need any sort of technical assistance at any point in time, feel free to reach out to our technical support team, by ringing us up on +1-800-360-4183, and our technical support team will help you out with all your QuickBooks queries.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6129, 0?
What is QuickBooks Error Code 557?
QuickBooks Error 557 is a common error which when occurs, your screen receives a message saying ‘QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience’. It applies to Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
However, QuickBooks is quite easy to use but there are some errors which need a lot of troubleshooting. A couple of steps can help us get rid of this error. These errors can occur because of the wrong syntax, or commands which may have occurred because of the low quota within the disk or lack of area. In the same way, some errors are designed, associated with payroll, and Error 557 is one of them.
Why QuickBooks Payroll Error 557 occurs?
QuickBooks makes it easy for you to pay your workers as this is the most important things for your business and QuickBooks becomes your partner in that. We need to keep in mind that with each alternative computer code, QuickBooks updates itself so that it can satisfy the needs of all users. In this case, if a wrong configuration setting has been done, QuickBooks will face Error 557. Other potential causes behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error code 557 are:
- In case you mistakenly or knowingly abort the installation process.
- Another potential cause behind the occurrence of such an error can be if you have deleted the QuickBooks directory file.
- Just in case the system gets damaged due to any sort of virus or malware attack.
- Sudden power surge or unplanned system shut down.
How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Error 557?
You can follow the following steps to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 557:
Solution 1: Restore your system
- Turn on the system and log in as administrator
- From the beginning button, head to the programs cluster
- Select Accessories possibility, and decide on the system tool possibility
- After System tools possibility, navigate to system restore possibility
- A new screen will appear with the choices you have to pick to restore your system. Now, click on the successive button
- Click on ‘on the list click a restore point’
- Note: Select the foremost recent time in order to restore the system
- Here you will find a confirmation window, now click on the successive button once again
- As soon as you click, the restoration method shall begin
- After these steps, restart your system and open QuickBooks code.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6150, -1006?
Solution 2: Make necessary changes to the windows registry
- Start the system and type command in search box
- Hold Ctrl + Shift keys and hit Enter
- You will now be taken to the permission panel
- Click Yes
- The recording machine will open with a blinking indicator. So, type ‘regedit’ and click Enter
- Choose Error 557- related key in the written record editor
- Choose Export from the File menu
- In the Save In the List, select the folder wherein you would like to avoid wasting the QuickBooks backup key
- Type A name for your computer file in the File Box name, For example- QuickBooks backup
- Ensure that ‘Selected branch’ is chosen in the Export range box
- Click on Save
- File will be saved with a .reg file extension
- Now, you will have the backup of your QuickBooks-related written record entry
Solution 3: Update QuickBooks to the latest release
- The very first step is to open the QuickBooks desktop.
- Once done with that, head to the help menu and click on update QuickBooks desktop.
- The user is then required to click on Update now tab.
- Followed by checking on the reset update
- Also, click on get updates tab.
- This process might take some time to update the QuickBooks accounting software.
- After you get the update notification, make sure to reboot the system to save changes and check if the issue gets resolved.
Solution 4: Enter QuickBooks Service Key
- This process requires the user to open QuickBooks
- Once done with that move to the employee menu.
- After that, click on my payroll services
- And then, choose manage service key.
- The user is then required to pick the edit tab at the bottom of QuickBooks service keys Window
- Once done with that make a note of the service key.
- And go for add tab
- Now, enter the service key.
- After that click on next tab
- Hit the finish tab.
- And head to OK tab on the payroll update message.
- At the end ensure that the service status shows active
- Conclude the process by clicking on next tab and checking if the issue gets resolved
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 3003?
Solution 5: Reactive the expired subscription
Just in case your QuickBooks subscription is expired, then make sure to reactivate it. process involves the following steps:
- To start with, login QuickBooks account
- Head to the products and services page
- Move to the payroll subscription tab.
- If the payroll status shows cancelled, then re-subscribe the copy of QuickBooks by clicking on reactivate subscription.
- The last step is to click on save and also click on activate. Followed by clicking on Got it.
All the steps above can resolve your error. In case you are seeking any further assistance, you can connect with the best QuickBooks professionals in the industry. Our QuickBooks payroll customer service professionals will help you find the reliable and easiest solution to your problem.
You’ll also like:
Some FAQs related to QuickBooks Error 557
QuickBooks Error 557 is a runtime error that occurs when the software encounters a problem while trying to access the company file. This error can prevent users from accessing their financial data and cause significant inconvenience.
QuickBooks Error 557 can be caused by several factors, including incorrect configuration settings, outdated software, damaged or corrupted company files, and conflicting software or hardware.
To resolve QuickBooks Error 557, you can try a few troubleshooting steps such as updating QuickBooks to the latest version, repairing the company file, and disabling any conflicting software or hardware. If these steps do not work, you can also try reinstalling QuickBooks or contacting QuickBooks support for assistance.
To prevent QuickBooks Error 557 from occurring again in the future, it’s important to regularly maintain and update your QuickBooks software, as well as regularly backing up your company files. Additionally, you should avoid installing conflicting software or hardware, and keep your computer system free from malware and other harmful programs.