Learn how to resolve QuickBooks error code 1406 when there is an update firewall or any security program installed on your system.
Coming across errors in QuickBooks can be super annoying, especially while performing a necessary task. One such error that is often reported by QuickBooks users is QuickBooks error 1406. This error can be abruptly seen when performing any activity on QuickBooks. Such an error can be provoked by a conflicting third-party program running in the background. As a result of this error, the user might not be able to complete his/her task. Moreover, any damage within the windows registry might trigger this technical snag.
There can be a bunch of other factors causing this QuickBooks error code 1406, which we will be elaborating on later in this post. However, if you need our assistance at any point in time, then feel free to reach out to our tech support team at +1-800-360-4183 and they will help you in making the most of your QuickBooks accounting software without experiencing any hiccups.
What instigates QuickBooks Install Error 1406?
Below we have listed the major factors triggering this error in QuickBooks. Let us have a look:
- One of the major factors triggering this error in QuickBooks is a corrupted windows registry key
- The user can also end up in a similar issue if multiple tries to move QuickBooks on the PC
- Another trigger can be if the download location isn’t accessible
- Moreover, if an unreliable windows installer is present, then such an error can be seen
- In case the security software or the firewall is causing the issue, then the user might come across this error
- Or if there is any conflict by third-party software running in the background
- If some QuickBooks-related files have been improperly removed from your PC mistakenly, then get ready to face this issue.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, -82 or 6000, -106
Symptoms indicating QuickBooks Error 1406
Certain signs and symptoms make identifying error code 1406 easy in QuickBooks.
- One of the major signs can be if the warning message directly shows up on the screen when you are trying to work on QuickBooks
- Another trigger can be if the system isn’t responding to the mouse and keyboard inputs or is responding sluggishly
- The user can also identify the error if the system shuts down abruptly.
Measures to Eliminate QuickBooks Error Code 1406
Here are some of the most effective measures that you can take to eliminate QuickBooks error 1406 permanently. Let us check them out one by one:
Procedure 1: Giving permissions for the data.dat file
- At first, the user needs to head to Windows explorer by pressing windows + E tabs
- Once done with that, move to the organize tab
- The next step is to head to the folder and search options
- The user should then move to the view tab
- After that select the show hidden file and folder option
- Ensure to checkmark the hide-protected O/S file
- And click on the ok tab
- The user should then move to ‘’C:/users/all/users/Microsoft/Office/data.’’
- And also, right-click the opa12.dat file for Office 2007 and data.dat for Office 2003.
- Pick the Properties option after right-clicking the file.
- Now, click on the Security tab.
- Move to the Advanced option.
- Hit the Permissions tab
- And also choose Permission entries.
- Go for the list and hit on the Edit option.
- Ensure to choose the Full control box
- End the process by clicking on Ok tab
Read also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 12002
Procedure 2: Fix Windows Registry
- Under this process, the user needs to click on windows + R tabs respectively and open Run window
- After that enter regedit
- And click on the enter tab to open the registry editor window
- The user should now head to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaSTOR registry key.
- Ensure that all the keys are assigned to the Administrators group.
- And this ends the process
Procedure 3: Disable the antivirus software
- This process demands to right-click the antivirus icon
- Followed by selecting the turn off/disable the antivirus protection tab
- Now, reboot the system and launch the QuickBooks to check if the issue is fixed
Procedure 4: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Here, the user needs to first download the QuickBooks too hub
- Followed by saving the file where it can be access easily
- The next step is to install the tool hub from the file downloaded earlier
- And head to the installation issues tab after the tool hub opens up
- And click on QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- Run the tool and let it diagnose for the issues
- In case there are any issues, the tool will scan and perform necessary procedure
- After the tool finishes its task, make sure to reboot the system.
See also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1904
Procedure 5: Update Windows
- The user needs to first head to the windows update window and enter update tab
- After that click on the windows update icon
- And click on check for updates option
- Now, double click the Windows update icon to launch the Windows update window.
- After that go for the relevant and necessary updates and download them.
- Reboot the PC and allow these updates to be installed on your PC.
- The startup screen shows up, launch QuickBooks and check if the error is fix
Procedure 6: Restore the system
- The very first step is to select Programs within the Start menu.
- And then, head to the System Tools.
- Now, choose System Restore.
- Now, hit the next button.
- Once done with that select the most recent system restore point
- And click on next tab
- On the confirmation window click on next again
- The system restore process will start.
- This might take some time
- The system will automatically restart during the process.
- Once done, re-run QuickBooks Desktop
- And carry out the accounting tasks to check if error 1406 continues.
Procedure 7: Use Clean Install Tool or System Configuration
If none of the above steps helped you in any way to fix the error code 1406 in QuickBooks, try using the clean install tool. The steps you can perform in this process are:
- Start by pressing Win + R keys and open Run window.
- Within the run window, type MSconfig and further click on ok tab.
- You should then pick the selective startup and load startup items under the General tab.
- Heading forward, click on the option to Hide all Microsoft Services in the Services tab.
- Now you have to try disabling everything.
- And further, click on Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Once done with that, check the list of services later on and ensure that the windows installer is selected.
- In case the system configuration window opens up, click on restart tab.
- Use clean install tool to install, uninstall, and reinstall QuickBooks and eliminate the issue.
- This is also possible manually with the control panel.
- After performing the above discussed steps, head back to the normal startup mode.
- And this can be done by accessing the Run command and also clicking on the Win + R tabs.
- Now, type MSconfig and go for the ok tab.
- Select Normal Startup and also the General tab.
- Conclude the procedure by clicking on ok tab. Moreover, reboot the system and check if the issue continues.
We believe that the above-stated set of steps would surely help you in eliminating the error code 1406 successfully in QuickBooks. However, if the user is unable to eliminate the error even after performing the necessary steps, then contacting our tech team at +1-800-360-4183 is suggest you. We are a team of certified QuickBooks error support, who work round the clock providing instant support and assistance.
More helpful articles:
QuickBooks error 1406 is an installation error that you can face when you try to install QuickBooks. It can be triggered by a corrupted windows registry. You can perform a set of steps to eliminate this error successfully.
You can experience this issue in QuickBooks due to the below discussed factors:
1. Corrupted Windows registry is a common reason
2 Another possible trigger can be damaged installer files or any sort of virus attack.
3. Same error can be seen if you mistakenly deleted the installer files.
You can try fixing the installation errors by:
1. Closing the QBW32.exe process
2. Suppressing the QuickBooks software
3. Rebooting the system
4. Clean Installing QuickBooks