Everything you need to know about the solution of Error code 1904 when Installing QuickBooks Desktop
In QuickBooks software, this error is quite common when users are installing QB files. Also, it arises due to the system and all files and folders are not maintained as instantly. Error 1904 indicates ‘Failed to register’ file path/ name/ extension.
“Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register,”
The image as shown below is similar which appears on your desktop.
This QuickBooks error can also arise while QB Desktop installation after upgrading the operating system such as Windows Vista to Windows 7. Or if system wasn’t rebooted after the QuickBooks upgrade.
In case, there are multiple QB errors are appear on the display and they exclusively state the ICWrapper.dll, qbprefs.dll, RcnFndRequestHandler.dll & qbupdate.exe (among others), then the trouble is possibly caused by the Microsoft Visual C++ damaged component.
Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error 1904
What possible reasons does this error found while working on QuickBooks accounting software?
- It causes due to when your company files get damaged or corrupted in a sudden manner. It is quite possible that the settings of the file are incorrect.
- Sometimes, this QuickBooks error 1904 could be caused due to having several multiple issues and you might receive messages mentioning specific files such as dll, qbupdate.exe & many more. This problem is usually caused when the file or a folder is damaged the MS Visual C++.
- After upgrading the operating system from one version to another, you might receive this error as it is possible that you have not rebooted your computer system after upgrading.
Major signs of QuickBooks error code 1904?
You can identify the issue using the below signs:
- Some crucial company files are missing
- The system is getting slow
- If the updates on the system aren’t available automatically
- If the Hard drive and other read-write devices are facing issues related to permissions
- A repeated message about “Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register” is seen on the screen
How to Fix Error: 1904 when you install QuickBooks Desktop?
In order to troubleshoot QuickBooks log in error 1904, Execute the following fixation steps in the order shown to resolve the problem.
Solution 1: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
- Select the “Ignore” tab on the error message & let the QB installation complete. DO NOT open QuickBooks software.
- Restart the computer.
- If the QuickBooks installation did not complete, then download & run the QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Reboot the system.
- If running the tool unable to fix the error, then activate the built-in Administrator & install QuickBooks software under the built in administrator account.
You may also like: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 15215?
Solution 2: Activate the built-in or hidden administrator
Follow the given steps to activate the built-in administrator:
Step 1: Activate the Built-in Administrator
- Tap the “Windows” button on the keyboard.
- Type in the “CMD”. Right-click on the “CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe” & choose the “Run as Administrator”.
- In the command prompt window, enter the “net user administrator /active:yes” and hit the “Enter” tab.
Quick tip: In case you see any error, type-in the “net user administrator /active” instead.
Step 2: Switch to the built-in Administrator Account
- Press the “Ctrl+Alt+Delete” on the keyboard simultaneously, then choose the “Switch User Windows 8 users”: hit the “Windows” button & choose the user icon on the upper right of the display.
- Hit the “Ctrl+Alt+Delete” at a time & choose the “default Administrator account” icon.
Step 3: Hide the built-in Administrator Account
- Click on the “Windows” button on the keyboard.
- Type in the “CMD” in the search box. Press right-click on the “CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe” & choose the “Run ad Administrator” tab.
- In the command prompt screen, type in the “net user administrator /active:no” and hit the “Enter” key.
4: Change installation directory security settings
- Browse to the “C:\Program Files\Common Files”.
- Perform right-click on the “Common Files” folder & choose the “Properties” tab.
- Select the “Edit” icon under the “Security” tab, & then choose the “Users” under the “Group or user names” icon.
- Under the “Permissions for users” tab, choose the allow for the following permissions:
- Read and Execute
- List Folder Contents
- Choose the “Apply” and then “OK” button.
5: Do a QuickBooks Installation
- Install QuickBooks Desktop once again.
- After installing QuickBooks accounting software, switch to the original user log in.
Important Note: If you precisely followed the entire steps, then you don’t have any of the following special cases, & you’re still getting the same error, we suggest that you should contact the QuickBooks Experts to diagnose the hassle.
Solution 3: Manually configure damaged windows components
Step 1: Repair the .NET Framework
- To fix this, the user needs to head to control panel and fix issues related to Microsoft.net framework
- Now, from the list of the installed programs, select .Net framework
- Also, move to the programs and features page
Step 2: Register the MSXML.dll
For 64 Bit OS
- The user needs to click on start tab
- And then enter CMD into the search bar
- The next step is to right click the CMD icon and this will open context menu
- Select run as admin tab
- After the window opens command prompt, enter cmd and get the C: root directory
- Now, press the keyboard shortcut “CD windows/ syswow64 /”.
- After locating syswow64, enter “regsvr32 MSXML6.dll”
- Now hit enter again
- And try to install QuickBooks and check if the issue
For 32 Bit OS
- At first, press windows + R to open run window
- And click on enter to add cmd to the box
- Enter “regsvr32 MSXML6.dll”
- Hit enter tab again to proceed
Solution 4: Updating the Operating system
For Windows 10
- The first step is to click on windows start tab
- And then head to the update and security tab
- Once done with that choose windows update tab
- And click on check for updates
- This will show any update, if available
- After that select the updates you want and click on update tab
- Reboot your system
- Now, launch QuickBooks after the upgrade gets installed properly and check if the issue gets resolved or not
For Windows 8.1
- Head to the settings tab
- And then, click on change PC settings
- Now, click on update and recovery and choose windows update
- The user should now, click on check now link
- Choose view details tab
- You might a bunch of options with the download sizes
- Click on the suitable one
- And then reboot the system after the update ends
- Login to QuickBooks again
Additional Alternatives to Fix QuickBooks Installation Error 1904 (Failed to Register)
- Head to the antivirus or security software
- Fine-tune the internet bandwidth to download the installation source accurately
- Uncheck shared updates option in multi-user mode
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Installation Errors for Windows and Mac?
Condition 1: If you have Bitdefender:
While QuickBooks installation on the computer in the presence of Bitdefender, you suppose to add the C:\Program Files\Common Files (for 32-bit machines) or C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit (for 64-bit machines) to the Bitdefender exclusion list. Turning off or disabling the Bitdefender will not resolve this problem.
Condition 2: If the error arises while Adobe Flash Player installation
- Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and install it on your system.
- Uninstall the Adobe Flash Player.
- To open the “Run” window, press the “Windows + R” on the keyboard simultaneously.
- Type in the “Control Panel” & hit the “OK” tab.
- Choose the “Uninstall a program” icon.
- Choose the “Adobe Flash PlayerActiveX”.
- Hit the “Uninstall” button.
- Follow the instruction to complete the whole process.
- Download & install the Adobe Flash Player from official website www.adobe.com.
Condition 3: If the error references QBversionTool.dll
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Download & run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Reboot the computer & reinstall the QuickBooks.
Solution 2: Check permissions & use hidden (built-in) Administrator account
Make a notepad file & save it to the installation directory to verify the permissions:
- Open the “Run” window, Hit the “Windows + R” on the keyboard at the same time.
- Type in the “Notepad” & click on the “OK” button
- Type in the “QBTEST” in the notepad file.
- From the “File” menu, click on the “Save As” icon.
- Save the file to the installation directory.
- 32-bitC:\Program Files\Common Files.
- 64-bitC:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files.
Some Additional Guidelines
- If you are working with QB Database Manager only, then the given solutions would not work and you would be required to install the actual exe.
- The error occurs mostly in Microsoft Windows when the installation is not done using the admin credentials.
- Before installing Avalara Avatax, install exe on the server.
- The problem can also be caused if you try to Install the connector on a Server without QB exe installed on it.
- After clicking OK on the error, the installation must say that it was completed successfully.
- Go to AvaTax Configuration (File > AvaTax > Configuration)
- Run the QuickBooks Software as Administrator
- Select your Test Connection option.
Also read: Resolve QuickBooks error code 15223
Hopefully, this article would be beneficial for you to resolve the QuickBooks error code 1904 easily. However, if you still find it difficult or much time consuming – you can seek the high-quality QuickBooks technical support from our certified ProAdvisors.
For the best accounting solution under one roof, dial our toll-free helpline number i.e. 1-844-405-0907. We will be more than happy to help you.
How to Fix QuickBooks Banking Errors 103 and 310?
How to Fix QuickBooks Error code 17337?
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Banking Error 102
QuickBooks Error 1904 refers to an issue that occurs when QuickBooks is unable to register or start a component or module during installation or while opening the software. This error may appear as “Error 1904: [file path/name] failed to register.”
If you’re facing QuickBooks Error 1904, you can try the following steps to resolve the issue:
Install the latest Windows updates
Disable User Account Control (UAC)
Run the QBInstall Tool
Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop If the issue still persists, you can contact our QuickBooks Error Support team at +1-844-405-0907 for assistance.
QuickBooks Error 1904 may be caused by several factors including damaged or missing system files, outdated Windows operating system, and conflicts with other software installed on your computer.
Yes, QuickBooks Error 1904 is a common issue faced by many QuickBooks users. It is most likely to occur during the installation process or when trying to open the software.
Yes, you can get QuickBooks Error 1904 resolved by a QuickBooks expert. Our QuickBooks Error Support team is available 24/7 at +1-844-405-0907 to assist you with resolving the issue and ensuring smooth functioning of your software.