QuickBooks unexpected error 5 is often seen when the QuickBooks database service user is restricted to access the file location. It appears on the screen with a warning message QBW Error: “Got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for Path“. You can experience such issues due to invalid entries in the Windows registry or if there are system configuration issues. Other warning message associated with this error can be:
|Error:||Encountered Unexpected Error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path\\server\file.QBW|
|Error:||An Unexpected Error Occurs “Intuit QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: Contractor 16.0”: V26.0D R3 (M=1066, L=335, C=249, V=0 (0))|
This error basically means that the software has experienced a severe application issue, and you can come across this issue when trying to save the company file. There can be a bunch of factors triggering such errors, to learn what those are, along with the set of steps that can be performed to eliminate them, all you need to read this segment with much care. Or you can also get in touch with our QuickBooks Desktop tech support professionals at +1-800-360-4183 and take their assistance in eliminating the issue from its root cause.
Related Article: QuickBooks Point of Sale Unexpected Errors Resolution
What triggers Unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path?
You can experience this QuickBooks got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path due to the following reasons:
- Incorrect installation of QuickBooks desktop version can be a basic factor causing this issue.
- In case the system shuts down incorrectly or forced shutdown
- Moreover, if the Windows user account in use doesn’t have enough rights.
- Or if the point of sale update’s shared download location is invalid.
- You can also experience this issue if there are invalid entries in the Windows registry.
- Or if the registry entry or system file are missing
Read This: Navigate QuickBooks Software in A Faster Way
Eliminate Unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path
You can perform the bunch of methods listed below to get rid of such an error. Let us have a look:
Method 1: Download and install QuickBooks file doctor
- The user can download and install QuickBooks file doctor at the Intuit official website.
- And then, perform the onscreen steps for installation.
- Now, run the tool.
- And let the tool check the files and folders in the system and correct the hosting settings accordingly.
- The user can now, access and control the system through the permission-level settings.
- And can also repair and locate the damaged files in QuickBooks software.
Method 2: Re-create the user
- Here, the user needs to head to the user and roles.
- Now, create a new username for the new user.
- After that, make a new password and confirm it.
- Establish the roles for the user and click on the OK tab.
See This also: Make a Smart Move By using QuickBooks Online Mobile App
Method 3: Turn off the user account control in Windows
Turning off UAC in windows can help in fixing the issue to a certain extent. Let us go through the steps involved in the process:
- Under this process, press the Windows + R keys to open the run Window.
- And then, enter the control panel and hit the OK button.
- Choose the user accounts and go for user accounts (classic view).
- After that choose the change user account control settings.
- In case you see any prompts by UAC, choose Yes to continue.
- After that, move the slider to set it to never notify.
- And click on OK to turn UAC OFF.
- You can also set to always notify and go for OK to turn UAC ON (If prompted, select Yes to continue).
- The last step is to choose to reboot the system.
Method 4: Remove the user to fix Unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path
- Start with launching the company tab on the QuickBooks desktop and choose the users.
- Go for the set-up users and roles.
- And select the user in the user list.
- The user now needs to select OK for confirmation.
Method 5: Update QuickBooks point of sale (POS)
Updating QuickBooks POS can help you terminate Got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path error successfully. The steps you need to perform are:
- Here, you need to sign into the point-of-sale system as an admin.
- After that, navigate to the help menu and then hover over software update.
- Now, choose updater preference.
- And go for the general tab.
- Also, select automatically download updates.
- And hit on notify me to get the notification related to new updates when they are available.
- Lastly, choose OK when done.
- The software will automatically download and install the latest updates when they’re available.
You may also Like this: Upgrade or Convert Your Company File to a New QuickBooks Desktop Version
Method 6: Provide file share access
Got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path? This is possible, due to disabled file sharing for the company files. The user needs to perform the below steps to fix this issue successfully:
- For this process, you need to launch the file explorer and right-click on the folder having the file.
- Now, go for the properties and sharing tab.
- And, opt for partial or full sharing according to the business requirements.
- Lastly, choose to apply and hit the OK button.
Method 7: Install the Reimage Repair Tool
You can make use of the reimage repair tool to eliminate “got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo” if none of the above steps helped. The procedure to install and use reimage repair tool is as follows:
- For this, you need to download the reimage repair tool.
- After that save this tool on the desktop.
- Head to the file location.
- And press yes when the prompt displays on the screen.
- Start the automatic scan, and unmark the checkbox.
- Choose install to scan tool automatically.
- Start the repair process.
- Lastly, reboot the QuickBooks software.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code C=88?
Method 8: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
In case an unexpected error has occured in quickbooks, you can try fixing it by reinstalling QuickBooks. The steps involved in the reinstallation process are as follows:
- The below process requires you to press the Windows tab and R tab to open run box and look for appwiz.cpl
- And then, locate and double-click on QuickBooks to remove it and all of its features from the device.
- After that, return to the QuickBooks website to download the desktop application again.
- Make sure you are downloading the correct version of the application and perform the steps to reinstall the application.
Towards the end of this segment, we believe that the information shared in above might be of great assistance in eliminating the Status code 5 or system error 5 access denied from its root cause. However, if you continue to face the unexpected error, then in that scenario consulting our QuickBooks tech support team at +1-800-360-4183 is recommended. We are a team of certified QuickBooks professionals who work round the clock in providing immediate support and assistance. Feel free to share your queries and requirements with our team.
FAQs Related to QuickBooks got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path
System error 5 occur if the installation of QuickBooks is incorrect. Or the system shuts down forcibly. You can fix it using the steps below:
1. Recreating user file.
2. Also, creating new user.
3. Using QuickBooks file doctor tool.
4. Further, giving file share access
This error is basically an unexpected error that can be seen when the installation of QuickBooks itself is incorrect or if there are invalid entries in windows registry.
You can try fixing QuickBooks got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path by updating QuickBooks point of sale to the latest release or turning off User account control in windows. Moreover, another fixation for the same can be to run QuickBooks file doctor tool.
You may also like