If you have ever used QuickBooks, you very well know how much time related to sending invoices, payment receipts, and transactions can be saved by using email account directly through QuickBooks. However, at the time due to some blocked sign-in attempts, one might come across incorrect password error while performing these activities. QuickBooks company file incorrect password error is a frequently occurring error that many QuickBooks users have reported. Due to this error, the software doesn’t accept the password when using email services like Gmail, outlook, or yahoo mail. As a result of this issue, you might not be able to connect to the online email services and send transactions directly from the QuickBooks desktop.
There are a bunch of factors triggering this issue in QuickBooks, if you want to learn what those factors are and how you can deal with them, simply scroll through this segment. You can also get on a call with our QuickBooks support professionals directly at +1-844-318-0008, and they will get back to you with immediate support services. Our technically sound QuickBooks professionals will help you with all sorts of QuickBooks support and assistance.
Brief into QuickBooks Incorrect Password Error
Before you dig in deep, it is important to understand what this error is all about. The incorrect password error is basically seen with a warning message “Incorrect email or password”. As we mentioned earlier, as a result of this error might not be able to connect to the online email services and send transactions directly from QuickBooks desktop. Factors like invalid password or mistype can trigger such an error in QuickBooks. Continue reading this to explore the causes and fixes for the same.
What causes QuickBooks company file incorrect password error?
One or more of the following reasons may lead to the Company File incorrect password error:
- Sometimes, passwords are case sensitive
- There might be some missing or incorrect accessibility settings
- Open ‘Control Panel‘ > select ‘Accessibility‘ options and make sure that no box on any of tabs is checked
- Spaces are also been considered as part of the password
- Sometimes, when we generate the password, unknowingly, the spaces are recorded while submission of the password
- Incorrect keyboard Function
- You can submit in the notepad to check whether your password is properly working
- The appearance of an incorrect login screen
- When the login screen appears in some cases without the username on the admin login screen then, you need to reopen it
The perfect password hacks while creating a password, you are required to make complex password instructions as per it need to have minimum seven characters (consisted of at least one number, letters, special character, and one upper case letter).
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000?
How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Company File Incorrect Password error?
You can perform the following steps to fix the QuickBooks Company File incorrect password error. You can also go with QuickBooks customer service helpline if you want an expert guidance.
Step 1: Use Password Reset Tool
Password reset tool is an automated tool for the QuickBooks Desktop that’s primarily used to reset the QuickBooks admin password. If a user forgets the password, this tool comes handy. Users will have to enter 15 digit license number, full name, phone number, and postcode. These details are validated as per the registration information saved in a database. If in case any of information mismatches when a product is registered then it leads to failure of the request.
How to Use an Automated Password Reset tool for QuickBooks Desktop?
Start by selecting the tool depending on the version of desktop you use as per US-version, UK- Version or Canadian Version:
Step 1: Find out the version of a desktop
You are required to have knowledge of the product version and then release number and then the select product from the list and learn how to identify the version, release the data and follow some instructions. To know How to check the product version & release of your QuickBooks click on the given here.
- For the statement writer: In QB select reports and then statement writer, when a program is up, choose ‘Option > help > about QuickBooks statement writers‘
- Merchant service: QuickBooks uses merchant services, thus there is no release or version.
- Basic or advanced QuickBooks Payroll: Select “Employees” > “Payroll Centers” and then choose the Payroll tab.
- For QuickBooks Mac and POS: Choose “Help > product information“. Here entire version release information can be seen.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 404?
Step 2: Select QuickBooks Version that was updated formerly to your QuickBooks Company File
- Select version section, type in your license number and other business details during registration of the accounting software and then click on submit
- Now, accept accepting license agreement and download
- Type in token number sent in your email and choose the version in the drop-down menu of QuickBooks products
- Submit new password, confirm and click reset password
If you’re changing a user password
- Sign in using the credentials of admin. If you aren’t an admin and don’t have access to admin credentials, contact the person who has the access
- Go to Company and choose Set Up Users and Passwords
- Select Set Up Users
- After being prompted, enter the admin password again
- Once you see the User List, select the user that requires a password change
- Next, select Edit User
- Enter a new password
- Select Next twice and press Finish. If you (or the user) need to sign in on this computer, access the File menu and select Close Company/Logoff. You should be able to sign in with your user name and the new password.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 301?
If you’re changing the admin password
As a security step, you would need to confirm/provide some information.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT)
- Click I forgot my password link at the login window
- Fill in the details on the form that appears
- Click OK button
- If you enter correct information, you would receive a code at your registered (primary) email address
- Copy the code from your email and enter that in QuickBooks Desktop
- You would be guided through the steps for creating a new admin password
If the password reset fails
Check the details you entered. Check for types and spelling errors and make sure the information matches what you have in CAMPS.
Other than the above stated set of steps, you can try performing the below set of steps to get rid of the password issue. Let us have a look:
Step 1: Updating QuickBooks desktop to latest release
In case you have not updated your software already, then we suggest you to first update the software. Email a test transaction to check if the error is fixed after that. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- You need to first move to the help menu and choose the update QuickBooks desktop option
- Furthermore, you need to head to the update now tab and select the reset update checkbox to clear all previous update downloads.
- You now have to select the get updates to begin the download process.
- And also reboot the QuickBooks software after the download finishes
- And then, accept the option to install the new release, when asked.
Step 2: Check settings for your antivirus
At times, antivirus might block the internet connection to QuickBooks and end up in obstructing the seamless functioning. To lookup for the antivirus provider’s website and look for the steps to allow the port exceptions. The steps involved are:
- You need to make port 465 open for Yahoo mail
- Also, make port 587 open for gmail and all other email services
- If you are a McAfee user, then open the antivirus program and search for excluded processes list. Add the below names to the list so that they can run freely.
- QBW32.exe – C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]\QBW32.exe
- QBDBMGRN.exe – C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]\QBDBMgrN.exe
- QBDBMGR.exe – C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]\QBDBMgr.exe
- Now head back to QuickBooks and email a test transaction.
We hope that you find this article informative. In case you have any query or need assistance of an expert, call us at +1-844-318-0008. Our QuickBooks error support team will help you in such type of accounting problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
There can be a bunch of factors causing such an error. You can try updating the QuickBooks desktop to try fixing the error. You can also check if the automatic updates are turned on. If you haven’t enabled automatic update feature, then you need to upgrade QuickBooks manually.
This can be done by performing the steps below. Just keep a check on the system, as it should be the system that normally hosts the company files.
1. The very first step is to open QuickBooks on the server system
2. After that, open the file and then utilities.
3. Switch the multi user setting off
4. Try to open the company file again
You can try repairing a company file using the steps below:
1. At first, head to the file menu, and then hover over the utilities tab and choose the rebuild data
2. Now, on the QuickBooks information window, choose ok tab
3. Let the tool finish and choose ok tab
4. Head to the file menu
5. Let the tool check your file for data issues
Few other helpful links