Getting interrupted by technical snags in QuickBooks is very common. A few errors might belong to a particular category, while the others might be related to the company file. However, QuickBooks makes it easy for the user to identify the error and eliminate it by assigning an error code to it. And one such error that we are going to talk about in this piece of information is QuickBooks error 15240. If you are using QuickBooks for at least a couple of months, you might have heard about the 15xxx error series. This particular error i.e., 15240, basically falls under the category of 15xxx series. This error is simply a payroll update error that occurs when the update process is hindered due to some reasons.
This error might not just interrupt the process, but also can freeze the system for a couple of seconds, which can definitely be annoying. Being professionals in this industry, we understand the importance of eliminating such errors immediately. So, here we are with this segment that would not just brief you about the glitch, but also will help you with the fixes for the same. Thus, keep scrolling and get rid of the error permanently. In case you do not have the proper knowledge to perform these solutions on your own, you can seek assistance from our technically sound QuickBooks ProAdvisors and they will help you implement the right fixes. Call us at +1-844-405-0907 and discuss your queries with the experts right away. Nonetheless, let us scroll down and explore the error code 15240 together.
Have You Checked This Article: QuickBooks – Application with Revoked Certificate
What is QuickBooks error code 15240?
Before you delve in deep to learn the steps to eliminate this issue, it is crucial to get a brief about what this error is all about. Well, this error is often witnessed when you try to download any update for the software. It occurs on the screen with a warning message that states:
|Warning:||QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the QuickBooks updated did not complete successfully|
|Warning:||QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the payroll update did not complete successfully|
You can also face errors like:
File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.
Internet connection error: unknown error
As a consequence of this snag, you can miss out on the accuracy of the wages of the work created by the software. And also, you can come across a few uncertainties affecting the productivity of the business. This can be seen due to misconfiguration of internet explorer security settings, firewall settings, or system date and time settings. Let us now understand what factors can bring you into such a situation.
Possible Instigators to QuickBooks error code 15240
Every error is experienced due to a bunch of factors. Here is why you can experience this issue:
- Not using the latest version of QuickBooks desktop can be a major trigger for such glitches.
- Moreover, if you logged in as a windows admin or you are not running the application as an admin.
- If the download link that has been specified is incorrect or invalid and the download is active, then be prepared to experience this issue.
- Using multi user mode in QuickBooks in a single service setting
- Moreover, if your software update itself is damaged, then you can bump into such errors
Signs of QuickBooks error code 15240
You can identify this glitch easily if:
- QuickBooks is unable to install the latest update
- The error code itself appears portraying the error message
- Unable to do payroll in QuickBooks
- System crashes frequently and the windows started running slowly
You Might Find This Helpful: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15106?
Effective Methods to Fix Error code 15240 in QuickBooks
There are a couple of techniques and methods that can be performed to fix the error code 15240 successfully. Let us evaluate each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Verify that the security software settings are turned in correctly
The majority of the time, the security software and the anti-malware software interfere with the working of QuickBooks, which results in certain issues. Thus, do not miss out on configuring the settings of the software and make the process smooth in QuickBooks.
Method 2: Add Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders
It is possible that you land into this issue due to insufficient permissions. Well, in that case, we recommend you to add windows permissions using the steps below:
- Start off by closing your QuickBooks.
- Navigate to the C:\Program Files\
- For 64-bit users, it is recommended to use C: Program Files (x86)
- Now, you need to move to the security tab and pick the advanced option
- Don’t forget to ensure that the owner of the folder is the user group. If not, then you will have to take the ownership of the intuit folder, by performing a bunch of steps:
- Choose change beside the owner’s name on the advanced security settings window
- Enter users in the enter the object name to choose find and select the check names
- After that, click on ok tab.
- You are then required to mark replace owner on sub-containers and objects.
- Click on apply and ok tabs respectively
- Choose the users on the permissions windows and also click on the full control option
- Hit the apply tab and also the ok tab.
- Try downloading the updates. If the error continues, perform the steps for the below folder:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit (64-bit users) C:\Program Files (x86) \Common Files\IntuitC:\ProgramData\Intuit
- C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit
Did you check this: How to Fix QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer?
Method 3: Clean Installation
Have you ever noticed that at times a mere reboot can help a lot in tackling through the errors in QuickBooks and clean installation is a bit more advanced version for it. You can easily reinstall QuickBooks by using clean installation tool and this would clean up any sort of error prevailing. But make sure that you take a backup of company file before performing any steps:
- Uninstall the QuickBooks desktop from the system
- Change the name of the installation folders by downloading and running the clean install tool.
- Now, reinstall QuickBooks after rebooting the system.
- And hopefully, your software is now error-free.
Method 4: Check the system date and time settings
Sometimes when you open your system, the date and time is misconfigured, and this can lead to certain errors in QuickBooks. So, don’t forget to check if the system date and time settings are correct or not. This can be done by:
- Select the time display on the system initially
- Later on, pick the change date and time settings
- You now have to set the correct date and time.
- And simply select apply and ok options.
- This would easily fix the date and time thing on your system and hopefully will eliminate the error as well.
Method 5: Running QuickBooks as admin rights
If you are not running your QuickBooks using the admin rights, then you can probably land into this error. But how to fix this? Well, this can be tackled by performing the steps to run QuickBooks with admin rights. For this:
- Simply navigate to the QuickBooks and right click the same
- Choose the run as admin tab.
- Don’t forget to open properties and check the compatibility for all the users
Important Article you must read: Update, Manage or Change your Intuit Account with Intuit CAMPs
Method 6: Configure the internet explorer settings
Did you know that your internet explorer settings can also hinder the smooth working of your software? To fix this, you need to carry out these steps:
- Select the gear icon and choose the internet options.
- Move to the advanced tab
- Under the security tab, you will find the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0, which you need to mark.
- The conclusive step for this procedure is to choose the apply tab and tap on the ok tab.
Method 7: Checking if the third-party firewall is configured
If none of the measures above helped you in dumping this error in QuickBooks, you can try configuring your firewall, as the firewall might at times hinder the smooth working of the software. Implement the steps below:
- Initiate by consulting the developer of your third-party firewall for instructions to adjust the settings and permit QuickBooks to download and install updates.
- Moving ahead, ascertain that the following files are provided access by firewall:
- Qbw32.exe – QuickBooks executable file
- Qbupdate.exe – QuickBooks update executable file
- Do not forget to verify that the ports 80 and 443 are not disabled.
You can also read this: How to Update QuickBooks Desktop to Latest Release?
The above suggested strategies often help the QuickBooks users in getting rid of the QuickBooks technical error code 15240. It should be noted that there can be situations when you land into the same glitch even after performing these steps. Well, don’t worry, as we won’t leave you alone in such a situation, we have a full team of technocrats, who have sound knowledge of QuickBooks and related issues and understand what it takes to get rid of such situations. You can speak directly to them at +1-844-405-0907, and let them handle your situation in a professional manner, ensuring that you do not land into same errors ever again. Feel free to call us whenever you fall into any such errors in QuickBooks and you will surely be guided in the best possible manner.
FAQs Related to QuickBooks Error 15240
QuickBooks error 15240 accompanies several descriptions, indicating an incomplete payroll update, company file error, or internet connectivity issues.
The below factors can trigger such an error:
1. Not being logged in as a windows admin
2. If the download link that has been specified is incorrect
3. You can further come across this issue when using QuickBooks multi user mode in the terminal service settings.
You can fix this error using the steps below:
1. Run QuickBooks as admin
2. Configure firewall
3. Clean install QuickBooks
4. Configure the internet settings
5. Make corrections to the system date and time