When a user is working on QuickBooks software, there comes a time when he wants to transfer the QuickBooks from old computer to new computer. There can be any reason behind this decision. A user can easily use the QuickBooks migrator tool to transfer QuickBooks software from their old to new computer with maximum three files, and if the user is using a US version of single-user QB desktop. When a user wants to do this, he should follow the steps below to reinstall or move the QB Desktop installation:
- Ensure that you have QuickBooks product and license information
- Uninstall your QuickBooks in order to reinstall it
- Download QB Installation files or you can also insert QB installation CD in your new PC
- Then, install QuickBooks Desktop.
For a chance, if you have QuickBooks license and product number but do not have QB installation files, then you can download them from Intuit website.
When a user re-installs or transfers QuickBooks to the new computer, then registration is required. User can register following the below steps:
- Go to ‘Help‘ in QuickBooks menu bar
- Click on ‘Register QuickBooks‘
- Enter ‘business phone number‘ and ‘postal code‘
- Once the information is complete, your QuickBooks will be registered
- Intuit will also record your ‘registration details‘ for the new computer
- If you registered from this PC earlier, then you are not required to register again.
- As you have transferred QuickBooks from one to another PC, then you will also have to transfer QuickBooks company files. You can copy these files to the new PC once the QB is installed properly.
Requirements for transfer QuickBooks to another computer
The user system needs a few things to transfer QuickBooks desktop to a new system. Let us hav a look:
- Make sure to register for the software after the installation and also ensure that the new system is connected to proper internet connection
- Also, uninstall QuickBooks desktop from the old system, but before that create a backup of the QuickBooks company file
- Keep the QuickBooks software installation disk or the setup file stored on an external device
- The license and product registration details are other important things
- External storage device to store the QuickBooks desktop files
- Make sure to have a USB flash drive with enough free space to hold QuickBooks files.
How to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another using Migrator Tool?
Migrator tool is one of great features of the QuickBooks software. A user can complete the process of transfer in just few clicks due to this feature only.
How does migrator tool work to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another?
Migrator Tool is also known as Move QuickBooks tool. This tool can be accessed only if you are an Admin user. You will need to create a complex password and need to remember it by writing it somewhere, however, it is required only once.
The migratory tool will allow you to copy max three company files in the USB flash drive along with the supporting documents. Pen drive will physically move the files and the migratory tool will do technical work in background. The tool will also download the right version of QuickBooks Desktop in the new computer and will aid in setting up all the files.
Note: Using migratory tool will not delete any file or reformat your system.
Requirements of migratory tool to transfer QuickBooks to new computer:
- There should be internet connection to new computer.
- Pen drive should have good amount of empty space. Free space around 150-200 MB is required usually.
Data which gets copied through migratory tool while moving QB to new PC:
All the data required to run QuickBooks Desktop gets copied, however, the list is as below:
- Version and other QB Desktop details
- Recent company files- max 3 files with supporting documents
- All other related files and custom templates and forms
- QB templates and letters
- Local attachments
- Memorized reports
- Spell checker
- Printer settings
- Financial Statement Designer
- Layout designer
- Business planner (.bpw)
- Cash flow
- Statement writer
- QB Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Advanced reports (for QB Enterprise)
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code C=343?
What is not copied using migratory tool when QuickBooks is transferred from old to new computer?
- Multi-user set configuration.
- Payroll or payments services set up in QuickBooks will not be copied as per Intuit policy to protect data.
- Intuit Data Protect needs to be uninstalled in the old PC and reinstalled in the new PC
- Company files which have not been recently opened will not be copied.
- Manual backups created by the user will not be copied.
Below given are the steps to use migratory tool:
On Old Computer:
- Go to ‘File menu‘ in QuickBooks menu bar
- Select ‘Utilities‘
- Find ‘Move QuickBooks’ to another computer and then, click on it.
- After that, click on ‘I am Ready’, and create one-time password
- Choose ‘pen drive‘ to use
- Wait when files get copied
On the New Computer:
- Insert pen drive
- Find ‘Move_QuickBooks.bat’ file on pen drive and run it.
- Enter password that you created
- Click on ‘Let’s go‘
- Migrator tool will now do its work.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error PS077 or PS032?
Manual Procedure to transfer QuickBooks desktop from old computer to a new computer
The users can manually transfer QuickBooks from old computer to new computer. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
Step 1: Create a backup of the company files and QuickBooks license
- The first step is to create a backup of company files and QuickBooks product license to the external storage device
- The next step is to install the latest or current QuickBooks version to the new system
- Once done with that, download and restore the backup file to the new system
- After that uninstall the QuickBooks software
Step 2: Restoring the backup of the company files on the new system
- Initially, the user needs to install the QuickBooks on the new system
- And then, insert the storage device
- Followed by opening QuickBooks and navigating to the file menu
- Later on, choose the open and restore company option
- Also, click on restore a backup copy and also click on next tab
- After that click on local backup option and head to the backup file created in the old system
- The last step is to pick a location in the new system for saving the backup and also click on save tab
There is no fix time on how much time will it take to complete the process. It completely depends on the internet speed and size of company file. In case you face any issue while following these steps, you can contact our QuickBooks enterprise support team or accounting consulting professionals at toll-free number. i.e. +1-844-405-0907.
You might also like the topics: