Coming across errors in QuickBooks is common. However, tackling these issues can be a tough nut to crack. One such error that we are going to discuss today is QuickBooks error code 12029. It is basically a network time-out error that indicates that the accounting software is not able to get an IP address. Furthermore, experiencing this issue is probable when you try to update your QuickBooks desktop or payroll.
If you are interested in finding out the factors causing this issue along with the fixes for the same, then make sure to go through this segment right away, or connect with our team at +1-800-360-4183 and our experts will surely be able to resolve your queries immediately. Having said that, let us get a better insight into what QuickBooks error code 12029 is all about.
What is QuickBooks error code 12029?
QuickBooks error code 12029 is a network timeout error that can often be seen when you try to update QuickBooks desktop or payroll. It is an update error that indicates that the software is unable to get an IP address and servers are connected through a weak connection. It appears on the screen stating a warning message i.e., QuickBooks has failed to receive the IP address or servers. Such an error usually occurs when the backend servers are unable to revert QuickBooks within the allotted time interval. There are a few factors causing this issue, which we will be elaborating on later in this segment.
What instigates QuickBooks error code 12029?
As we mentioned earlier, one can come across this issue in QuickBooks due to a handful of reasons, which we have listed below. Note that, there are both internal and external factors causing this issue. Let us understand one by one:
- One of the basic external causes can be downloading the QuickBooks payroll update.
- Moreover, if the firewall or internet security obstructs QuickBooks from accessing the server.
- You can also experience a similar issue if the default browser is not Internet Explorer.
- Or if the internet plan expires.
- Another possible cause can be incorrect SSL settings.
- For internal causes, when QuickBooks software itself fails to connect to the internet, such an error might trigger.
- In case of connection issues in QuickBooks, one can experience this error.
- Moreover, if the server is blocked, then facing this issue is possible.
- In case the windows are not updated to the latest update/version.
You also Like this: How to Setup QuickBooks Workforce in QuickBooks Desktop!
Method to eliminate the error from the root cause
You can try performing the below methods to get rid of such an error in QuickBooks permanently.
Method 1: Check the Internet Connectivity
- Under this process, you are supposed to open internet explorer and further access any safe website such as www.google.com.
- Later on, in case the website is accessed without any issue, then perform the steps ahead.
- Start with checking the Internet connection for any misconfigurations.
- And then, make sure that the time and Date of the system are correct.
- Now, open internet explorer, and click on Tools at the top.
- Select the Internet options.
- Furthermore, click on the Reset/Restore defaults, under the Advanced tab.
- And then, go for Apply and OK options, respectively.
- Run the update for QuickBooks desktop and payroll and afterward check the status of the QuickBooks error 12029.
- This might rectify the issue up to certain extent.
See this also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Unauthorized Error Code 401?
Method 2: Install QuickBooks security certificate to get rid of QuickBooks Error Code 12029
- This process requires you to right click the QuickBooks icon and then click on properties tab.
- Furthermore, click on the Open File location under the Shortcut tab and then also click on the OK button.
- The next step is to right-click on the QuickBooks.exe file and then click on the Properties option.
- Go for the QuickBooks option from the list and click on the details option present under the Digital signatures tab.
- You are now required to click on the View certificate option.
- After that click the Install certificate option from the General tab.
- Ensure to set the current user, as the store location, under the Certificate import wizard window,
- And then click on Next.
- Hit the Next tab again, followed by hitting on the Finish tab.
- Hit OK tab to end the process.
Method 3: Access Windows in Safe Mode and Update to Solve QuickBooks Error Code 12029
- Click on Win + I key on your keyboard.
- Head to the Update and security.
- After that click on the same.
- Now, click on the Recovery option, and move to the Advanced startup.
- Ascertain to carry out the instructions carefully and then reboot the system.
- When restarting the system, click on the F8 key repeatedly to see an option to open the system in Safe mode with networking.
- Verify if the issue continues
Method 4: Re-configure QuickBooks payroll and redo the updates
- The very first step is to unplug the wireless router or the Internet switch and wait for around 10 seconds.
- After that, turn on the wireless router or internet switch and check the Internet latency now.
- Open the QuickBooks and then the company file.
- After that click on the Ctrl + K keys on the keyboard.
- And select the Edit option.
- Un-check the open Payroll setup.
- Wait till the process ends, and the payroll updates will continue on their own.
Method 5: Test connectivity and settings to resolve QuickBooks Error Code 12029
- To initiate the process, make sure to close the QuickBooks software and then open the Microsoft IE.
- Followed by heading to the Tools tab or pressing Alt Key.
- Once done with that, open the Internet options and look for the security tab.
- Search for the globe symbol and then tap on the same in the security tab window.
- Make sure that the Security level is set to Medium-high.
- After that hunt for the Connections tab.
- In case the dial-up node is not used, choose the Never dial a connection.
- Or else, if you use the dial-up node, then go for the Correct internet service provider.
- Click on ok and then proceed to the LAN settings.
- Now, look for 0the Automatically detect settings tab.
- Hunt for the Proxy server checkbox.
- And then, click on OK and then move to the Advanced tab.
- Choose to Restore advanced settings.
- And click on TLS 1.2 and hit the OK button.
- Close internet explorer and reboot the system to complete the process.
- You can also download and run the TLS 1.2 utility.
- And then find out whether the is set as the Default browser or not.
Read this also: Resolve QuickBooks Error QBWC1039 (Web Connector Error)
6: Configure SSL settings for internet explorer in QuickBooks
- This process requires you to verify that the Use SSL 2.0 and use SSL 3.0 are verified.
- After that, select the Connect tab and then the OK tab.
- Close the QuickBooks software and restart it.
- Also, click on the Help menu and Update Now tab.
- Now, configure SSL settings Internet Explorer outside of QuickBooks by performing the steps below
- Here, you need to open Microsoft Internet Explorer Browser.
- And then, head to tools and choose Internet options.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- And choose the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checkboxes that present in the security.
- After that click on Apply and OK to close the current window.
- And this would fix the issue up to a certain extent for you.
Method 7: Fix System Time and Date
- To start with, you need to right-click the extreme bottom-right corner of the taskbar.
- Now, click on Adjust Date/Time.
- After that, check if the Time zone is correct. If not, then hit on Change Time Zone.
- Select your time zone and hit the Enter key.
- Also, check if the Time and date are correct.
- If they require changes, then click on change date and time.
- Set the correct time and date and hit the Enter key.
- Once done with that, re-open QuickBooks.
Method 8: Check the security settings of the Antivirus and Firewall
In case none of the above steps helped, try to determine whether some security software is preventing the download process. This issue might occur due to the antivirus or the firewall settings. Check out the below steps to fix this issue:
- Start with downloading the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official Intuit website.
- And save and run the tool.
- The QuickBooks file doctor tool will automatically configure the firewall and open the ports.
- Check whether the QuickBooks error code 12029 continues.
Get in touch with experts!
Experiencing errors is pretty normal when it comes to software that is loaded with features and functionalities. However, what matters is to eliminate the error before it creates further trouble. Thus, we believe that the user might be able to deal with the error code after performing the steps listed above. If in case the user is unable to do so, or if the user requires our assistance at some point in time, then, in that case, consulting our tech support team at +1-800-360-4183 is recommended. We have a team of certified QuickBooks professionals who work round the clock in providing assistance related to QuickBooks accounting software. Our experts will help you in eliminating the issue from its root cause. Thus, feel free to connect with our professionals.
Other Related Articles!