Recurring errors in QuickBooks can be extremely devastating, especially for someone who isn’t well versed with the technical aspects of QuickBooks accounting software. However, what makes QuickBooks an ideal accounting software is the fact that all the errors that are experienced when working on QuickBooks can be rectified easily. In this piece of writing, we are going to highlight error code 3140 in QuickBooks. You can bump into such an error during software installation. The QuickBooks error code 3140 usually appears with a warning message stating:
There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks item 2050 in the invoice line. QuickBooks error message: Invalid Argument. The specified record does not exist in the list.
Mainly The QuickBooks Error 3140 is a run-time error and there can be various reasons for it. And that’s why it is very important to understand its causes and then troubleshoot accordingly to avoid it in the near future. This error can be easily solved by the steps enumerated in this article, but in case of any query you can get assistance from QuickBooks Error Support Service providers. You can get on a call with our technical support professionals at +1-844-405-0907, and let them help you with the fixation of QuickBooks error 3140. Now that you know whom to reach out to in case of any technical emergency, let us evaluate the error code 3140 in detail.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 404?
Signs of QuickBooks Error 3140
Identifying the error code 3140 becomes easy with the below discussed signs and symptoms. So, let us evaluate each of the signs one by one:
- When error 3140 happens, the active windows start to crash.
- It also leads to the crashing of PC/Laptop/Notebook etc. wherever the software is installed.
- At regular intervals there is periodic freezing of the screen.
- Windows doesn’t work properly and responds slowly to keyboard or mouse.
- The QuickBooks Error 4130 is displayed on the screen.
The QuickBooks Error 3140 message would come up during installation of the program or while running it. It can also happen at the time of Start-up or shutdown of windows. There are several instances why it can happen and it is suggested that you track when and how the error message is displayed.
Below are the possible causes of QuickBooks Error 3140.
- One of the main causes behind QuickBooks Error 3140 is the corruption of QuickBooks software download or incomplete installation of the software.
- In case you have made any changes in the QuickBooks software or any other related application, the change can cause corruption in Windows registry.
- Another main reason behind QuickBooks error 3140 is malware infection of the system and this may result in corruption of the program files related to the software or windows system.
- In addition to that, removal of QuickBooks related files maliciously or mistakenly can cause this issue.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1321?
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 3140?
The QuickBooks error 3140 can be easily solved by the following troubleshooting methods. However, you can reach out to the QuickBooks error support services to understand it better. The solution is taking a little bit of time but to fix it properly all the steps should be taken.
Procedure 1: Restore the previous setting
You can use windows system restore to undo recent system changes. You can select the option to set the windows system to a specific restore point so that you can undo any changes that take place. And this would eliminate any glitch that might occur due to any recent changes made in the software.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 301?
Procedure 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the QuickBooks Program
At times a mere reinstallation can help in eliminating such glitches. Thus, it is recommended to simply uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks software. Simply head to the control panel and choose the uninstall programs tab. Look for QuickBooks and then click on uninstall. After that reboot the system and reinstall the software. This would fix the issue to a certain extent.
Procedure 3: Check for errors using the Windows System File Checker (“sfc /scannow”)
- Here you are required to head to Run window by hitting on the Win + R keys.
- Furthermore, enter in cmd to show the command prompt.
- You are supposed to run the process of File Checker on the Windows system by typing “sfc /scannow” in the Command prompt window.
- Also, click on the enter key and let the process finish scanning and rectifying your PC for any errors.
Read Also: QuickBooks Web Connector Error 1085
Procedure 4: Install Windows Updates
- First of all, click on the Start menu.
- Followed by, entering the update option in the Search box.
- Furthermore, on the Windows Update option.
- Besides, go for the Check for updates option.
- Moreover, mark all the relevant updates that show on the screen.
- Initiate the process of downloading these updates.
- In addition to that, reboot your PC and let these updates install successfully on your computer.
- And then would fix the issue to a certain extent.
Procedure 5: Perform a Clean Installation of Windows
You can perform clean installation in QuickBooks to eliminate this issue permanently. The steps involved in clean installation are as follows:
- Start with uninstalling the software.
- Moreover, change the name of the folders manually.
- In addition to that reinstall the software.
- This process might eliminate any issues in QuickBooks.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000 77? (When Opening a Company File)
Procedure 6: Repair registry entries related to error 3140
Look for the registry entries related to the error and try eliminating them to fix the issue permanently. The steps involved here are as follows:
- Start the process by clicking on the Start tab.
- Furthermore, add ‘Command’ in the Search box without pressing the Enter key.
- Moreover, click on the Ctrl + shift keys and tap on the Enter key.
- Go for Yes in the permission dialog box.
- This will show up a black box with a blinking cursor.
- Enter ‘Regedit‘, and tap the Enter key.
- Select the error 3140 related key that you need to Create a backup for.
- Choose the Export option in the File menu.
- Go for the folder to Save the backup from the save-in list.
- Assign a name to the Backup file in the file name box.
- Make sure that you have marked the Selected branch in the Export range box.
- Go for the Save option and save the file with .reg file extension.
- Save the Backup of registry entries related to QuickBooks.
Procedure 7: Perform a malware scan of your computer
Performing the complete malware scan can help in fixing the issue. Carry out the steps to scan your system for any virus.
Procedure 8: Perform a system clean-up check
At times virus and malware attacks cause such issues. Thus, perform a full malware scan and try to eliminate the issue in QuickBooks.
- Under this process, you need to move to the Start tab.
- After that, on the Search bar, add ‘CMD’ on the keyboard.
- Now, press and hold the Ctrl + Shift keys and hit on the Enter tab.
- Click on the yes tab, when a pop-up appears.
- This will open a black window will, where you need to add ‘cleanmgr’ and hit the Enter tab.
- After this, a Disk cleanup box will initiate with checkboxes on the screen.
- Go for the checkboxes that you need to clean.
- Click on ok tab to end the process.
See Also Read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 404?
Procedure 9: Update your system drivers
- You are supposed to click on the settings tab and select the Update and security option.
- After that, go for the Windows update.
- Now, click on the Check for updates option.
- And this would fix the issue for you.
Get QuickBooks support instantly
Even though QuickBooks error 3140 can affect your work, it can be easily fixed. However, you should recheck your system and perform the steps as mentioned above.
In case the problem still persists or you require any other information regarding it then you can get help by reaching out to the QuickBooks Support Number at +1-844-405-0907 and experts will be ever ready to guide you with it.
FAQs related to error code 3140 in QuickBooks
QuickBooks POS financial exchange error 3140 can be fixed using the steps below:
1. From the file menu, choose preferences.
2. Furthermore, choose Company
3. Moreover, under financial, select accounts
4. Check the basic and advanced tabs, and further ascertain that the accounts are mapped correctly.
5. Click on save.
6. Run financial exchange
You can experience error code 3140, due to inaccurate mapping of accounts in QuickBooks desktop point of sale. Or if you have inactive or deleted accounts in QuickBooks. There can be other reasons behind the occurrence of such an error, which include corrupt QuickBooks installation, damaged windows registry, outdated QuickBooks, etc.
You can get an error when running financial exchange or when updating QuickBooks desktop in QBPOS. It appears on the screen stating: “Status Code: 3140. Status Message: There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks AR Account “800000D0-1340291665″ in the ReceivedPayment. QuickBooks error message: The account for this transaction must be of type Accounts Receivable”. You can try fixing this issue using some quick steps.
Some other helpful articles