Learn simple steps to convert QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
Moving from QuickBooks Desktop for windows to Mac, or QuickBooks desktop Mac to Windows? Well, in both cases, you don’t need to start over. You can simply convert your file from Mac to windows and vice versa. The conversion process of QuickBooks company file involves a handful of steps, which we will be elaborating in this article right here. Thus, if you are interested in learning more about converting QuickBooks company file, make sure to stick around this piece of writing till the end. Or you can further connect with our QuickBooks mac technical support team via our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-360-4183, and get answers to all your queries immediately.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816?
Points to remember
Before we proceed further to know the entire procedure, it is better to take a halt and look at some of the important points to keep in mind.
- The very first point is that QBES can’t produce a QuickBooks Desktop for Mac backup and the reason for this is that the round trip can’t be used in QuickBooks Enterprise solutions.
- Coming to the second point, in case when the accountant has the file, there is no need to enter the into Macintosh file. And if the data is entered into the Macintosh file, then the user might be required to reenter the data when he/she receives the file back.
- Another point that the user is required to remember is that the user can change the password when converting a .qbb file which is created using the QuickBooks desktop for Mac. In case the user or the accountant changes the password in order to meet the QuickBooks Desktop for windows requirements, then the new password should be used to convert the file back to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
- The next point is that the user will further require an admin password to complete the roundtrip process. Well, this is one of the most important points that one can’t avoid missing.
- Avoid processing payroll in QuickBooks for Windows version of the file, as QuickBooks for Mac doesn’t have an internal payroll.
- Another point that should be kept in mind is that the subscription data, payroll settings, and the payroll data that the user enters will be lost at the time when the file is converted back to QuickBooks for Mac.
The converting procedure is divided into three subsections, namely:
- Preparing Macintosh File
- Converting QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows
- And converting the same file back to QB for Mac.
Each subsection significantly involves a set of steps. So, let us explore each of the subsections and the steps below, respectively.
Preparing the Macintosh File
- The first step is to ‘Copy the company file’ to the desktop.
- Now, the QB user is required to check for any ‘Special characters‘ in the file name and the company name as well. In case any of the special characters are found, then ‘Rename‘ the file and ensure that all the special characters are removed.
- After that, ‘Open‘ the file in QuickBooks.
- Once the file gets open, ‘Delete‘ all the ‘memorized transactions‘ and the reports as well.
- The next step is to significantly rebuild the company file, by selecting the file option followed by ‘utilities‘ and ‘Rebuild data‘, respectively.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to run the custom transaction detail report, and also change the date range to All and enable the ‘Memo‘ column.
- For this, the user needs to select ‘Reports> Custom Transaction Detail Report‘
- Now, further from the dates drop-down list, select ‘All‘.
- And then, from the columns drop-down, choose ‘Memo‘.
- Lastly, tap on ‘OK‘ tab to run the report.
- The last step in preparing the Macintosh file is to check for any memos with names lengthier than 50 characters or the ones containing any special character.
- In case any such name is found, the user is required to ‘Edit‘ the transactions and also remove the memos, followed by rebuilding the file. and with this, the preparation process comes to an end.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189?
How to Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows?
Once the preparation procedure comes to an end, the next thing is to convert the file for Windows. For this, the user needs to follow certain steps. Let us have a look at the steps:
- The first step is to ‘Open‘ the company file in QuickBooks for Mac.
- The next step is to significantly choose ‘File> backup to QuickBooks for Windows.‘
- Moving ahead, the user requires to specify the file name and also save the location in the ‘Save As‘ window.
- Now, click ‘Save‘ and allow the backup process to run.
- After that, the user needs to transfer the file to the ‘Windows Computer‘.
- The next step is to ‘Open QuickBooks for Windows.’
- Once done with the above step, the user requires to select ‘File> Open or Restore Company.‘
- Now, choose the ‘Restore a backup copy‘ in the Open or Restore company Window, followed by clicking ‘Next‘.
- After that, the user needs to select the ‘Local backup‘ and then tap on to the ‘Next‘ option.
- The next step in this process is to find and select the ‘.QBB file‘ that came from the Mac user and then click on ‘Open‘.
- The last and final step is to type ‘Yes‘ and then tap on ‘OK‘ when prompted to convert the file.
See this also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 3140?
Steps to Converting the Same file back to the QuickBooks for Mac
Once the above-listed procedures are complete, the next process is to convert the same file back to the QuickBooks desktop for Mac. The steps for this procedure are below:
- To begin with the procedure, the user needs to ‘Open the company file‘ in QuickBooks for Windows.
- The next step is to choose the ‘File> Utilities> Copy Company File for QuickBooks for Mac‘.
- Furthermore, move ahead by saving the file.
- After that, ‘transfer‘ the file to the Mac Computer.
- The next step is to ‘Open‘ QuickBooks for Mac.
- Once done with the above steps, select ‘File> Restore> From a Disk. ‘
- Moving forward, the user evidently needs to ‘Select the file.‘
- Furthermore, tap on ‘Open‘.
- The next step is to click ‘OK‘, when the user is prompted to restore a QuickBooks for Windows file.
- Moreover, ‘Enter the name‘ for the restored file.
- The last and final step is to click on ‘Save‘.
Steps to convert a QuickBooks for windows file to Mac
It should be noted that you can only move company files from QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, or Premier Accountant Editions. The steps involved are:
Step 1: On windows Computer
- At first, Update QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to the latest release.
- Now, open the file as the admin.
- You now have to head to the file menu and choose utilities tab.
- Choose copy company file for QuickBooks Mac, and perform the onscreen steps.
- QuickBooks will create a MAC.qbb file.
- You might see a message that says It looks like QuickBooks for windows might be a better fit for your company. Make sure to check what data isn’t converted from windows. In case you wish to continue, click on Yes.
- Navigate to the folder you wish to save the file in.
- After that name the file, and choose save.
- Ensure to avoid using special characters in the file name.
- Also, move file to your Mac by using any storage device such as USB flash drive, etc.
Step 2: Restore the MAC.qbb backup on your Mac
A MAC.qbb file is a copy of QuickBooks desktop company file that you can restore in QuickBooks for Mac. You can perform the steps below to complete the procedure:
- Update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest release.
- You are recommended to close QuickBooks.
- Further copy the backup to the documents folder on your Mac.
- Once done with that, reopen QuickBooks desktop for Mac, and choose file and also go for open company.
- The next step is to choose Mac.qbb file and choose open.
- Now, hit ok when asked if you wish to restire a QuickBooks for windows file.
- And lastly enter a name for the restored file and hit save tab.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6147, 0?
Conversion Error in converting QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac
Error in Windows:
When the QuickBooks user opens the file in Windows, then there are chances that the error might occur. The user might get any of the below-listed errors:
- Error (-14113, 0)
- Error C=116
Solution: If the user is facing any such error, then following simple steps might work to tackle the error.
- First of all, the user needs to open the company file in QuickBooks for Mac
- The next step is to follow the procedure to resort the lists
- Once done with the above step, the user requires to run the rebuild data utility procedure
- And the last and final step is to try to convert the file again.
Errors in Mac:
When the user is unable to open the file in Macintosh after updating QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, there are chances for the error to occur. A pop-up message appears on the screen stating “Cannot Import the Roundtrip file. This was originally created with another version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Please import it into the version with which it was created.”
Solution: To get rid of the error in Mac, the user is required to follow the steps enumerated below:
- The first step is to download and reinstall the previous version and release QuickBooks.
- The next step is to restore the backup of the company file from Windows.
- The last step is to convert the restored file to the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Data that’s converted to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- 1099 categories
- Account list (Chart of accounts)
- Admin password
- All list reports
- Audit trail
- Contacts data
- Customer message list
- Custom field definitions
- Customer type lost
- Employee list (notes will not get convert)
- History of QuickBooks versions used with the data file
- Income and expense tracking by class
- Item list
- Customer list
- Vendor type list
- Vendor list
- Transactions and their links
- Transaction statistics
- To do list
- Time and activity records
- Shipping via list
- Company name and address
- Which features are enable
- Payment method list
- Payment terms list
- Vendor list (notes will not get convert)
- Job costing data
- Job types list
- Links between pay items and other lists
- Memorized transactions
- Multiple estimates per job
Data is not converted from windows to QuickBooks desktop for Mac
Note that QuickBooks for Mac doesn’t support multiple currencies. The accounts and balances are affected by the multiple and home currency settings, you can’t change the settings in QuickBooks for windows company file, you might not be able to convert the data to QuickBooks for Mac. There are certain features that might not convert. This includes the following:
- Any data in case multiple current is present in QuickBooks for Windows
- Intuit integrated payroll and payroll list items
- Online banking transactions that are not acceptable into a register
- Online banking aliases
- Customized settings for forms such as invoices, estimates, statements, and purchase orders
- Multi-user data like usernames
- User passwords
- Memorized reports
- Business planning, expert analysis, and business optimization tools
- User added columns to lists
- Multiple ship to addresses, preferred send method, and payment information for customer:jobs.
- Fixed asset item list
- Workers comp list
- Transactions type EFP payroll
- Budgets creates without associated account
- Assembly items
- Takes order and back-order tracking
- Merchant account services
Certain reports that QuickBooks for Mac doesn’t support. In case you want to use them even after knowing that they don’t support, then create most of these reports using the customization, filtering, and memorization.
- Profit & Loss Unclassified
- Open Purchase Orders by Job
- Sales Tax Revenue Summary
- Pending Builds
- Income Tax Preparation
- Profit & Loss Budget Performance
- Fixed Asset Listing
- Voided/Deleted Transactions (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Voided/Deleted Transactions History (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Closing Date Exception (available only in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Open Sales Orders by Customers (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Open Sales Orders by Item (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Adjusted Trial Balance (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Adjusting Journal Entries (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Forecast Overview (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Forecast vs. Actual (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- All payroll and workers comp reports
Unsupported Report Filters
Note that the following report filters are not supported by QuickBooks for Mac. The balances of balances of memorized reports that were created using filters won’t match balances in the original data file.
- Name Email
- Paid Thru
- Sales Tax Code
- Online Status
- Printed Status
- Workers Comp Code
- Is Adjustment
Moving data from QuickBooks for Mac to Windows and back
At times, the need to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac might arise, due to some or the other reason. The process of converting the file is further famous as round-tripping. Round-tripping is evidently a process which helps the user to send a QuickBooks for Mac file to an accountant with QuickBooks desktop for windows. Note that each program uses a different type of database, the accountant’s copy feature is not available in QuickBooks desktop for Mac.
In such cases, round tripping is of much importance, as it helps the accountant to make changes to a Mac client’s company file. This might sound confusing to some, so it would be better to have a detailed view of the same. Therefore, without further delay, let us learn the entire procedure in detail.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82?
With this, we come to the end of this article, and we hope that after reading the above-enumerated steps, the user might be able to convert QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac.
However, if the above enumerated procedure doesn’t work in your favor, then the only option left is to seek professional assistance. You can dial our toll-free QuickBooks support number .i.e. ++1-800-360-4183, and talk to our executives for professional guidance.
We have a pool of experts and professionals who have in-depth knowledge of QuickBooks, and with this knowledge, they make sure to answer every query of the QuickBooks users.
Frequently Asked Questions!
Well, it is important to do so, and can use the steps below:
1. The first step is to uninstall the QuickBooks for Mac
2. After that download it again
3. Also, move to the QuickBooks download and update section
4. Look for updates if they are any available
5. Perform the onscreen steps to install the latest version
Round tripping basically is the process to convert files from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for windows and vice versa.
Well, it is not possible to do, as both operating systems are different and have distinct databases. You can only convert a file present on either of the software to the other and vice versa.
You’ll also like: