Trying to schedule automatic backup but failed? Well, these days many QuickBooks users are facing issues when scheduling backups. Though the feature of scheduled backups in QuickBooks is one of most the easy ways to prevent data loss, at times, due to certain reasons the software might fail to do so. You might come across an error message that might state: ‘QuickBooks scheduled backup not working’ or Schedule backup does not run. There are a few fixes for this error, let us evaluate them one by one.
As this issue is associated with your company file, you can seek for professional guidance, to avoid any sort of data loss. Reach out to our QuickBooks ProAdvisor at +1-800-360-4183 and get instant and effective troubleshooting guidance without hampering your company file.
Here is how you can Backup your QuickBooks company file – Easy Steps
What causes scheduled backup not working issue?
There are a few factors causing scheduled backup does not work error in QuickBooks. Here is a list of few common ones:
- In case you have outdated QuickBooks desktop, then you can experience this error.
- Also, if QuickBooks is not compatible with windows version you are using.
- You can further come acorss this error if there are any damaged company file or data.
- If there are improper scheduled backups set up.
Fix QuickBooks backup not working on windows error
You can try performing the below methods to get rid of scheduled backup failed issue in QuickBooks. Let us explore in detail:
Method 1: Download and Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
Follow the below instructions and quickly get the latest updates of your QuickBooks Desktop application:
- Open QuickBooks and click on Help drop down.
- Select Update QuickBooks Desktop in order to update it.
- Now go to the Update Now tab and choose Reset Update box for clearing the past updates.
- Hit on the Get Updates to begin the downloading.
- Restart the QuickBooks software after the download process is over.
- Hit the Yes button when asked to install the new update that appears on your screen.
Note: Latest version of QuickBooks is QuickBooks Desktop 2024!
Method 2: Run QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
- Initially, open QuickBooks and head to the file tab.
- You will then have to opt for Utilities and click on verify data option.
- You will now have to choose the option that QB scan all the company files and data and further check for damage.
- This will open a pop up sharing a message: Data has lost integrity. You will have to close the message and further click on the File tab again.
- Now, a window will appear asking you to backup company data on the desktop, where you will have to click on ok tab.
- The tool will repair the damage in the company file.
- Once you see a message stating rebuild has completed, click on ok tab and try to schedule automatic backups.
Method 3: Check Automatic Scheduled Backup Settings in QuickBooks
- At first open the QuickBooks and Choose File menu.
- Select Save Copy or Backup windows to open the workflow.
- Go for the Backup option and hit the NEXT button.
- If you haven’t set up the backup defaults, then click on Options to set the backup defaults (where you want to keep your local backup), Hit on the Next tab.
- After that choose Change Location option or Use this location (as per your choice)
- Click on the Next tab.
- Then hit the Save it now and schedule future backups options or only schedule future backups. And again, click on Next tab.
- Now select ‘Save backup copy automatically when I close my company file every (number) times’ box.
- At last fill the number in the field provided and click Finish button.
Method 4: Run QuickBooks in Compatibility Mode for Windows version
- In this process, you need to open the system and right click the QuickBooks icon on the desktop.
- Click on properties tab
- Look for the Compatibility tab and check and tick mark the Run this program in compatibility mode option.
- Now select your Windows version by clicking on the drop-down list.
- Simply, click on Apply and then hit the OK tab.
- Now, check if the problem still persists, hopefully, it’s not there.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before running QuickBooks in Compatibility mode first you need to check the version of windows. So, to check the version of your Windows, press Windows + R at the same time on your keyboard, type Winver command in the Run box, and press Enter. This will show a popup with your windows version-related information. With the help of this process, it will make QuickBooks suitable to run for your Windows.
Even After performing all the above solutions, if in case QuickBooks automatic backup is still not working then you would want to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop application using the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
Method 5: Setup Windows OS to Windows 10
If automatic backup is not working, then you can change Configure to field to Windows 10. For this, you need to perform the steps below:
- The very first step is to open the Task Scheduler in Windows 10.
- Once done with that, click on Task Scheduler Library, in the Task Manager dialog box.
- After that scroll down until you reach QuickBooks backup task and further right click on to choose the properties tab.
- Access the task properties.
- Search for the Configure for option in the section general.
- Also, in the configure for: drop down list, pick Windows 10
Note that after changing Configure to setting to Windows 10 some users experience backup failure. Also, they might come across a message QBBackup.log file: QuickBooks encountered a problem attempting to backup C:\DATABASES\QB_XXXXXXX\XXXXXXX.qbw – Drive specified could not be accessed. Error ID 202: Last System Error: The computer cannot locate the specified path. This error can be fixed using Run Only When User is Logged in option under QuickBooks.
You can check this: How to Rectify QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File Error?
So, now we hope that you got to know what to do whenever the ‘QuickBooks Scheduled Backup not working’ issue occurs on your system. Also, all the above-mentioned solutions are quite informative and this article has a complete guide for resolving this error. But if in case your issue is still not resolved after following the above solutions, we advise you to reach out to an expert at QuickBooks error support center by simply dialing our helpline Number +1-800-360-4183 and they can provide you further assistance.
FAQs Related to scheduled backup not working issue in QuickBooks
You can experience QuickBooks not backing up error due to the unavailability of the storage device storing the backup file. This means that the external storage device creating backups for QuickBooks is no longer connected to the computer.
You can automatically backup file in QuickBooks using the steps below:
1. Choose backup from the file menu.
2. Click on Schedule a backup tab.
3. Also, click on automatically backup when closing data file every box.
4. Once done with that enter the appropriate backup frequency.
5. Make proper selections in the QuickBooks backup windows
6. Lastly, click on ok tab.
For this, you need to choose QuickBooks, and further opt for settings. You then have to click on backup and opt for backup preferences. Automatically backup company files.
You need to choose file menu and also hover over backup company and choose setup/activate online backup. Also, sign out in the intuit data protect window. Ensure that you sign in to IDP using the same credentials displayed like the email ID. Also click on ok tab.